GeekTonic`s Ultimate Fall TV Guide

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground GeekTonic`s Ultimate Fall TV Guide

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)
  • Author

Although the description, a cross between Voyager and Stargate is valid,  Don’t allow that that to put you off to watching SG-U.  The similarity to Voyager is the setting somewhere in a galaxy far far away (????? oops wrong SciFi comparison. ;D )  But they are somewhere far out in the Universe where we (humans) have never been and no way to get home.  The SG-U story is far more about the internal struggle between the ships inhabitants.  

edit: I didn’t know three question marks make a sad smiley.  Needless to say the sad face is suppose to be 3 question marks,

[quote=”brent”]
    Are there any new shows worth recording in your opinion?

I’m running through the Series PRemiere previews again tonight and curious if theres anything that looks worth a look.
    [/quote]

I went back and bolded the new shows I’m going to check out.  This was based on watching previews of the show, not simply the descriptions I read online.

I’ve seen a couple commercial for “Chase” that make it look worthy of checking out the pilot. And there is another one from Jerry Bruckheimer that I have on a list. I think it might be Blue Bloods.

[quote=”Meester.Rip”]
    I’ve seen a couple commercial for “Chase” that make it look worthy of checking out the pilot. And there is another one from Jerry Bruckheimer that I have on a list. I think it might be Blue Bloods.
    [/quote]

Bruckheimer is involved in Chase, so I’m not sure if he’s on another one, as well.    It sounded…  familiar… to me, so I decided to pass on it.  If it does well and people start raving about it, I might be persuaded, though.  I think Blue Bloods is doomed already.  I practically ruled it out just for the fact that Tom Selleck was in it.  I was never a Magnum PI fan and never really cared for any of his movies… except–maybe–Runaway (with Gene Simmons), which I only watched because of the Sci-Fi aspect and Simmons.

jrandeck
    Participant

I watched Terriers last night and have to say it was better than I expected.  The name sounds like it belongs on Animal Planet, and I was on the fence after seeing the previews, but I found myself getting into it.   I think it has potential.

Mike Garcen
      Participant

i’ll just wait for y’alls reviews of the new shows before i waste my hard drive space…so keep em coming! 🙂 wtf is Terriers about?

mikinho
        Participant

[quote=”shadymg”]
          i’ll just wait for y’alls reviews of the new shows before i waste my hard drive space…so keep em coming! 🙂 wtf is Terriers about?
          [/quote]

Totally wrong mentality.  Record everything and buy more hard drives to hold it longer.

[quote=”shadymg”]
          [/quote]

My biggest issue is how quickly these shows get cancelled.  I can live with a comedy being cancelled, since you haven’t invested much in it and most episodes stand on their own.  But, when there’s a longer story arc in play like most dramas or sci-fi shows, a cancellation really ticks you off.  Hence why The Event is being recorded, but not watched initially.  The other new shows are more comedic than drama.  Although, I really hope No Ordinary Family does well, since it could be a nice replacement for Heroes.

[quote=”Mikinho”]
          [quote=”shadymg”]
          [/quote]

Totally wrong mentality.  Record everything and buy more hard drives to hold it longer.
          [/quote]

ROFL!  Can’t really argue that, given my previously mentioned 400-some recorded episodes of Law & Order.  But, I decided to alleviate that “buy more drives” issue with tons of storage from the beginning.  Now, I’m just refusing to buy more drives until they shrink them.  I actually have 3 spare 1TB drives sitting around, but won’t install them.  Ideally, I want to slowly replace each 1TB drive with a 2-platter 2TB drive.

jrandeck
          Participant

[quote=”shadymg”]
            wtf is Terriers about?
            [/quote]

You know, about halfway through the episode I was still asking that question 🙂

There isn’t a lot of explanation about what’s going on up-front.  You see the characters do something and think “wtf?” then later it gets explained, at least somewhat.  It’s certainly more entertaining than having the pilot be the “how we got here” story, but it’s confusing at times.  I assume they’ll continue telling the back story as they go.

I guess these two guys are supposed to be unlicensed private investigators (I got that from the web site, though they do call themselves that at one point during the episode but at the time it’s not clear if it’s supposed to be their focus or if it’s like the unemployed IT guy calling himself a “consultant” until he lands a new job.  The main premise seems to be these two small-time “investigators” run afoul of a powerful criminal and interesting situations should ensue.

We’ll see where it goes form here, anyway.

[quote=”Mikinho”]
            [quote=”shadymg”]
            [/quote]

[/quote]

I have had to many people tell me I need to watch this or that after the pilot has aired and then said the heck with chasing it down. As long as I have space I might as well set the new shows to record and after a review of the first couple shows I can decided which ones are worth keeping. Not to mention there is something cool about having the ability to record 6 channels at once and telling those people waiting on the next gen TIVO what you can do on one box and some extenders. Now we just need some network to bring back a show like “The Unit”. President Palmer kicked butt.

captain_video
            Participant

I’ve discovered numerous shows after they’ve been airing for one or more seasons, like Dexter or Breaking Bad.  Bittorrent sites are essential to getting caught up with earlier episodes if they’re not available on Blu-Ray yet.

I’ve lost count of how many good shows I’ve gotten into only to have them cancelled halfway through the season.  The funny thing is it seems like the same actors keep popping up in new shows that get cancelled in short order (Paul Blackthorne and Kari Matchett are two that come to mind, but there are many others).  What irks me is that while many quality shows get cancelled, lots of mediocre programs seem to survive. 

I’ll never understand why all of the networks want to put up their best shows in the same time slots on the same night against each other.  It’s just one big pissing contest and the loser is usually the viewer.  Fortunately, this is no longer an issue for people with DVRs.  The sad thing is, when a show doesn’t get the ratings the network wants to see, it most likely gets canned, even though that same show would probably dominate the time slot if it aired on another night.

I forgot about Breaking Bad. Is season 3 out yet? Once I finish the Wire I will chase down the last season of BB on torrents if it is not available from Netflix yet..

captain_video
              Participant

It’s available via BT.  It hasn’t been released on Blu-Ray yet.  I’m still working on season 2 along with season 3 of Dexter.

[quote=”captain_video”]
                What irks me is that while many quality shows get cancelled, lots of mediocre programs seem to survive.[/quote]

It’s all based on the Nielsen ratings, so whatever those–supposedly representative–households are watching, that’s what stays on the air.  It’s ridiculous.

[quote]I’ll never understand why all of the networks want to put up their best shows in the same time slots on the same night against each other.
                [/quote]

My understanding is that those days are the most expensive for advertising, so they WANT to put their “best” shows up against the other networks’ best, on the best nights.  It simply keeps the advertising revenue up, which is what helps pay for the shows, which dictates how much of a budget the show gets.  Again, that’s how I understand it works, but I could be wrong.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.