GeekTonic`s Ultimate Fall TV Guide

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground GeekTonic`s Ultimate Fall TV Guide

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • Author

Original Article Link

Definitely in the same boat.  I find out about all these shows from news online.  What’s everyone planning to check out (or continue watching)?

Here are my picks and why:

[b]1.  Beast Legends[/b]
    Sounds like Deadliest Warrior (which I love), but for mythological creatures.
    2.  The Ultimate Fighter
    I’m an MMA fan.
    3.  House
    Still a good show.  Hugh Laurie is brilliant.
    [b]4.  The Event[/b]
    Recording, but won’t watch until it sticks around for a while.  It’s an alien conspiracy drama I suspect may go the way of Flash Forward.
    5.  Two and a Half Men
    Not as funny as it once was, but still enjoyable.
    6.  Castle
    Captain Malcolm Reynolds as an author, teamed up with a detective?  Yes, it works.  This show is very, very funny.  Nathan Fillion is a great comedy actor.
    7.  Law & Order: SVU
    Still a guilty pleasure of mine.
    [b]8.  No Ordinary Family[/b]
    It sounds like a live-action version of The Incredibles.
    9.  Big Bang Theory
    My current favorite show and perhaps the funniest thing I have ever watched.
    [b]10.  $#*! My Dad Says[/b]
    The trailers make this look pretty damn funny.  Captain Kirk as a father?  Wow.
    11.  Fringe
    I hope this gets better because I wasn’t big on the 2nd season finale.
    12.  The Mentalist
    After falling asleep to Lie to Me, I hesitated to try this one, but the humour makes it quite enjoyable.  Actually reminds me a little bit of Castle with the relationship between the two main characters.
    13.  Smallville
    Another guilty pleasure.  It’s the final season and I’ve stuck around this long, so hopefully it’ll go out on a high (flying?) note.
    14.  Stargate Universe
    Let’s face it, I’ll watch anything Stargate.  It’s a bit of a stretch from the other shows, but it’s still Stargate-like.  It’s sort of a cross between Voyager and Stargate.
    [b]15.  Law & Order: LA[/b]
    I’ll give it a shot.  Hopefully it’ll hold up.
    16.  Sanctuary
    Not the greatest Sci-Fi show, but it has enough going on for me to keep coming back.  Amanda Tapping definitely holds the show up.  It actually reminds me a little bit of Torchwood.
    17.  Human Target
    Basically, a hired bodyguard/mercenary show.  Thankfully, he’s not invincible and frequently gets into trouble, so it’s somewhat believable.
    18.  Psych
    Take Lie to Me and make it into a full comedy and you have Psych.  (Mind you, Psych came first, so you could say Lie to Me is a “serious” version of Psych.)  Another hilarious show.

Damn that’s a lot!  But, we watch these shows over the full 12 months of the year.

EDIT:  Bolded the new shows I’m planning to check out.

mikinho
    Participant

I’m assuming you don’t get Showtime otherwise Dexter would be on your list!  Also, since you like Castle you’ll probably enjoy The Glades as well.

Dexter, The Glades and How I Met Your Mother are the only shows I’m interested in that are not on your list. Castle and Big Bang Theory are two of my favorite.

I’ve heard good things about Dexter, but the premise never sounded appealing, no matter who described it to me.  Maybe I should rethink that, however, since it took a really good friend of mine over a year to convince me to watch Big Bang (yeah, yeah, I know).  I’m recording How I Met Your Mother, but have only watched one episode of it (which I did think was somewhat funny) so far.  I may have to check out The Glades now, too.  Dammit!  😉  Glad I’m finally up to the last 11 episodes of the original Law & Order.  Those 426 episodes were taking up WAY too much space on my server!

I can’t believe you missed Modern Family.

And the Boardwalk (Old school Mafia) is coming to HBO soon.

Here’s my list

1.  Sons of Anarchy
      Really enjoyed season 1 and 2, but haven’t had a chance to watch season 3 yet (though the wife did and said it was even better).  The drama and personal conflict are pretty interesting.
      2.  Parenthood
      I liked Lauren Graham in Gilmore Girls, so I took a chance watching this, and like it.  The conflict and interaction and pulling together of the families really drives it.
      3.  Two and a Half Men
      what you said!
      4.  Castle
      It’s Mal!  It’s very funny, and has sucked the wife in too.  Love looking for Firefly references!
      5.  Modern Family
      Love the interaction with the different families and it’s got Al Bundy back!  Need I say more?  It’s made me laugh harder than I remember another show for a long time.
      6.  Fringe
      I like it – it’s interesting and nice that they’ve got a overseeing arc but not sure how long the alternate universe thing can last…  Hope it doesn’t go the way of the X-files…
      7.  Community
      Only watched 2 episodes so far (first season is recorded …) but found it very funnty – like the Breakfast Club/etc. in college.
      8.  Smallville
      I’ve watched it all so far (well finally catching up on last season), and it’s the final season.  I hope he finally flys, or it’d be nice to have a tie in with a movie…
      9.  Supernatural
      Still watching last season which was spose to wrap up the over all arch, so not sure what this season will be about. It’s a different take on heaven, hell, demons, etc.
      10.  Stargate Universe
      My first experience with Stargate (besides the movie) and I’ve liked it enough to start watching SG1.
      11.  Sanctuary
      Interesting enough to keep watching, and I agree that Amanda Tapping definitely holds the show together.
      12.  Human Target
      Interesting and hides enough info that I keep watching to find out more about the background of Chance.
      13.  V
      I loved the original and the books, so I took a chance.  It’s even better!
      14. The Glades
      I liked Matt Passmore in the Australian show McLeod’s Daughters, so I started watching it, and it’s pretty good.  I like his character and it’s not CSI which is good cause I can’t stand that show!

[quote=”Meester.Rip”]
      I can’t believe you missed Modern Family.
      [/quote]

Sorry.  I gave it a shot when some people on here recommended it, but I didn’t find it very funny.  I tried 3 episodes and was pretty bored with it.

@xjboonie
      … re: Smallville…  I couldn’t agree more.  I know it won’t happen, but I’d actually like to see Tom Welling portray Superman in the next movie.

1. Rubicon – Kinda slow may drop it soon.

2. Mad Men – been watching since the beginning.  Warning: You may get cancer and/or cirrhosis of the liver from  watching this show.

3. Leverage – American remake of British tv show Hustle.

4. Chuck –

5. Warehouse 13 – Remake of “Friday the 13th -The Series”. Sci-Fi twist instead of magical.  Nothing to do with Freddie.

6. Rescue Me – ROFL! I just can’t believe how deep and how much this guy steps in it.

7. Human Target

8. Smallville – no comment

9. Supernatural

10. Burn Notice – got to watch an episode being filmed where I work.  Bruce Campbell is just like you might think.

11. Stargate (anything) – yeah Universe isn’t as good as the others but still interesting.

12. Haven – not my favorite but it’s starting to grow on me.

13. Sanctuary

NEW episodes of Bleach

Oops, almost forgot V – remake is good, the original is laughable and I thought that when I watched it during it’s original airing.  And I rewatched it prior to watching the remake.

Add Fringe and Eureka to list as well.  Dr. Who if it comes back to SyFy.

Mike Garcen
      Participant

this list is seriously scary when i think about the little amount of free time i have yet all of the shows i have to watch 😛

Btw Skirge….you seriously didn’t like MOdern Family?>???

What do you guys think about Outsourced, which starts 9/23. I’ve seen the previews and it looks like it has potential. I’m a bit biased having worked with some outsource companies before, but still….i’m open to it.

When’s “The IT Crowd” coming to the states?!?!

[quote=”Skirge01″]
        Sorry.  I gave it a shot when some people on here recommended it, but I didn’t find it very funny.  I tried 3 episodes and was pretty bored with it.
        [/quote]

Try watching the episode “Travels with Scout”  It’s the funnest TV I’ve seen in a while!

I already record most of the shows mentioned here. The only shows I’m planning on adding to my queue are the aforementioned “Stuff My Dad Says” and “Outsourced”.

Kind of surprised no one has mentioned “The Walking Dead.” It looks AMAZING.

[quote=”shadymg”]
        Btw Skirge….you seriously didn’t like MOdern Family?>???

What do you guys think about Outsourced, which starts 9/23. I’ve seen the previews and it looks like it has potential. I’m a bit biased having worked with some outsource companies before, but still….i’m open to it.

When’s “The IT Crowd” coming to the states?!?!
        [/quote]

Yeah, sorry, Mike.  Both the wife and I had the same response to Modern Family… it just wasn’t funny.  I cracked a smile here and there, but, overall…  not my kind of humour.

I saw a preview for Outsourced and I didn’t think it was going to do too well.  I was quite surprised that any American network was even willing to TRY that sort of humour, given the non-PC nature of it.  While funny, I don’t know how it’s going to hold up over the long run.  Plus, again, showing the general population how “stupid” they can be doesn’t usually go over very well.  I really hope some of my end users don’t watch that show!  LOL!  Or, maybe it’ll turn out to be a good thing and they won’t open tickets for stupid things anymore.  Nah… that’ll never happen.  ;D

IT Crowd is on BBCA all the time.  That’s where I’ve been watching it.

captain_video
        Participant

I watch just about everything listed above, with but a few exceptions, as well as numerous others:

White Collar
          Covert Affairs
          Breaking Bad
          Mad Men
          The Good Wife
          Big Love
          Hung
          Entourage
          Friday Night Lights
          Dexter
          Weeds
          United States of Tara
          Deadliest Catch
          After the Catch
          True Blood
          The Closer
          Medium

and no doubt others that slip my mind at the moment.  Some of the shows I watch just because my wife likes them and it’s the only time we watch TV together.

Yes, I do watch too much TV.  I haven’t made my final decisions which shows I’ll either add or drop during the new fall season but no doubt I’ll end up with more shows than I have time to watch.  The two shows I’m looking forward to are Boardwalk Empire (HBO) and The Walking Dead (AMC).

FWIW, my wife and I love Modern Family.  The episode where the guy tries to teach his wife how to use the TV remote is absolutely priceless and could not reflect my household more accurately if I had scripted it myself.  I’m sure many of the rank and file here can relate once they’ve seen it. 

I rarely find sitcoms all that funny, especially when they are laden with laugh tracks.  I find it pathetic when the director has to tell the audience when something is supposed to be funny (and it usually isn’t).  My wife has almost no sense of humor but she and I both enjoy Modern Family immensely.  The Hispanic kid is an absolute hoot (and his Mom is pretty hot, too).  Definitely at or near the top of my recommended list.  Our other favorite sitcom is The Big Bang Theory.

jennyfur
          Participant

[quote=”Skirge01″]
            14.  Stargate Universe
            Let’s face it, I’ll watch anything Stargate.  It’s a bit of a stretch from the other shows, but it’s still Stargate-like.  It’s sort of a cross between Voyager and Stargate.
            [/quote]

Arrggh. Way to go and make me dread getting to SG-U. Over the past few months I’ve been watching the entire SG-1 series (about to start season 8 and Atlantis concurrently) and planned to watch SG-U when finished. But good god, Voyager was the only Star Trek related thing I’ve ever hated. I’d purposely avoided reading anything about SG-U as to not spoil it so I didn’t even know it had a Voyager-like premise until now. Guess it’s better that I found out beforehand though. Now it will likely just end up as one of the dozens of things on my Netflix list that linger for years without getting watched (that’s what happens when you’ve been a member since 2001).

[quote=”jennyfur”]
            Arrggh. Way to go and make me dread getting to SG-U. Over the past few months I’ve been watching the entire SG-1 series (about to start season 8 and Atlantis concurrently) and planned to watch SG-U when finished. But good god, Voyager was the only Star Trek related thing I’ve ever hated. I’d purposely avoided reading anything about SG-U as to not spoil it so I didn’t even know it had a Voyager-like premise until now. Guess it’s better that I found out beforehand though. Now it will likely just end up as one of the dozens of things on my Netflix list that linger for years without getting watched (that’s what happens when you’ve been a member since 2001).
            [/quote]

Sorry to have “ruined” it for you.  Hopefully I can still salvage it.  Let’s put it this way, they’re on a ship they don’t know how to navigate since it was built by the Ancients.  Hence, they’re sort of lost, like Voyager.  (This ends the similarity.)  The “crew” is not an SG team, but a group of people who managed to escape “something” (to avoid any spoilers for you) and take refuge on the ship.  So, there’s quite a bit of internal fighting (if you want to make a comparison to the Maquis crew joining Voyager, it’s a BIG stretch) and lots of character development, a la BSG.  So, they’re trying to figure out how get control of the ship and get home… again, the only real similarity to Voyager.

I’ll admit that I had very low expectations for SGU when I read the storyline, followed by the reviews, and people’s comments and comparisons.  However, I quickly got beyond that after the 2nd episode and was enjoying it quite a bit.  I was very upset when I finished the 1st season and had to wait.

Anonymous

Are there any new shows worth recording in your opinion?

I’m running through the Series PRemiere previews again tonight and curious if theres anything that looks worth a look.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.