CNET Reviews Samsung`s PN50C8000

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground CNET Reviews Samsung`s PN50C8000

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

[quote=”Mikinho”]
    @swoon, what meter do you use?
    [/quote]

The X-rite  Eye-one Display LT. It is spec’d to be accurate to .02 cd/m2 and .008 ftL is above that.

Katzmaier definitely has a more sensitive meter, but I don’t think that could explain the variation at play here as I am not alone in these lower readings. The HDTV Shootout held at Value Electronics was performed by ISF calibrators with very sensitive meters. HDGuru who also has a more sensitive meter measured .009 ftL, but these are all 58″ panels. 

mikinho
    Participant

[quote=”swoon”]
      The X-rite  Eye-one Display LT. It is spec’d to be accurate to .02 cd/m2 and .008 ftL is above that.

Katzmaier definitely has a more sensitive meter, but I don’t think that could explain the variation at play here as I am not alone in these lower readings. The HDTV Shootout held at Value Electronics was performed by ISF calibrators with very sensitive meters. HDGuru who also has a more sensitive meter measured .009 ftL, but these are all 58″ panels. 
      [/quote]

Thanks, I was just curious as I’ve been researching different spectrophotometers and colorimeters to invest in.

I was looking at the X-Rite EODIS2 Eye-One Display 2.

[quote=”Mikinho”]
      [quote=”swoon”]

[/quote]

Thanks, I was just curious as I’ve been researching different spectrophotometers and colorimeters to invest it.

I was looking at the X-Rite EODIS2 Eye-One Display 2.
      [/quote]

I’m not sure exactly what the Display 2 offers over the LT. It has something to do with the X-rite software specifically though and not the meter itself. I have been able to use the LT to generate icc profiles using the included software as well as calibrate my C8000 10pt. grayscale and CMS using the free ColorHCFR software.

The downside to colorimeters is that they do tend to drift over time. In a few years, you could always buy a new one or profile against a spectrophotometer.

I have to say that’s way more affordable than I thought it would be… I know the pro stuff is $1000+

I’ve been interested in getting something for real calibration (not just by eye) and not the junk marketed to home users like the DataColor Spyder3TV.

I’m curious how/why is that colorimeters drift? and what can be done about it?

[quote=”Matt”]
      I have to say that’s way more affordable than I thought it would be… I know the pro stuff is $1000+

I’ve been interested in getting something for real calibration (not just by eye) and not the junk marketed to home users like the DataColor Spyder3TV.

I’m curious how/why is that colorimeters drift? and what can be done about it?
      [/quote]

I don’t know exactly why the drift, but I think it has something to do with the filters inside a colorimeter that change characteristics over time due to humidity and temperature changes. As I understand it, spectroradiometers do not have this same issue, but of course are more expensive. My meter came with dessicant, so I just seal it up in a ziploc with it and hope it helps knowing that in a few years, I may need to think more about the accuracy of it at that time.

The i1 Display colorimeters have advantages in price/accuracy ratio, low-light sensitivity, measurement speed and are temperature-compensated.

I bought one because it seemed strange to purchase a $2k display and not spend an extra $150 on a meter to get things more accurate, especially seeing as how HTPC is my source and who knows what’s going on with driver changes/video card changes/software changes… The fact that I could also use it for ICC profiling on my PC displays was an added bonus.

Yep, my displays thus far have been budget displays, but sometime in the next couple of years it will go up to much a nicer tier and then it is certainly worth the colorimeter investment 🙂 Thanks for the great info!

mikinho
      Participant

Agreed.  Thanks.  I’ve done my research and the majority of the reviews on the X-rite I’ve read have been positive but it is always good to have another opinion from someone that I “know” (i.e. have read your posts here and tgb)

Speaking of calibration… Here’s a new VT25 review from Kevin Miller, formerly Cnet. Hopefully, Panasonic can fix this in a new firmware.

http://www.tweaktv.com/quick-looks/panasonic-tc-p58vt25-3dtv-quick-review-best-hdtv-ever-made.html

Andrew Van Til
        Keymaster

[quote=”swoon”]
          Speaking of calibration… Here’s a new VT25 review from Kevin Miller, formerly Cnet. Hopefully, Panasonic can fix this in a new firmware.

http://www.tweaktv.com/quick-looks/panasonic-tc-p58vt25-3dtv-quick-review-best-hdtv-ever-made.html
          [/quote]

Thanks.  I hope they fix the video processing too, one of the lowest HQV-HD scores I’ve measured.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.