Cisco FW update for the 1520 appears in the wild

Home Forums Windows Media Center Cisco FW update for the 1520 appears in the wild

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

I received FW updates for my TAs this morning (2:53:56, July 11, 2011) which updated the program to:

SOFTWARE VERSIONS
    PTV OS: Explorer1kg6 NGP OS
    FLASH: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1402
    App(s): SARA v1.61.41.a201

A single TA now handles a Ceton card (and based on the diagnostic map) for either four or six streams.

This occured in Time Warner Cable, LA County North (Chatsworth Headend) that Los Angeles, West Valley.

John

mikinho

Pushing to front page.

swoon

Thanks for the update, John. Someday I’ll get around to hooking my TA back up to see if Cox San Diego is sending down the upgrade.

I don’t currently use mine because I watch none of the channels requiring a TA. To Cox’s credit, they put a bunch of SD channels that probably have the least viewers on the TA list.

chucknduck26

I have Time Warner in Garner, NC. Right now I have two tuning adapters. How do I find out if I received the update?

johnw248

Aside from a blue screen of Serivce Not Available, open your Ceton Web Interface and click on the TA tab. If you have the upate the FW will list F.1402 instead of F.1202 and under number of channels it will have 4 instead of 2.

If you have it, the second TA may be disabled or check signal. In either case disconnect the USB from the second TA and then reset the USB connection on the remaining TA by unplugging/replugging the USB connection. Once reset the Ceton Interface will show 4 and tuners 1,2,3,4 (unless you’re a beta tester for the Ceton 6 then it will show 6 and tuners 1,2,3,4,5,6).

John

mattstallbaumer

Is this up to TWC to push it to my TAs or is there away for me to update them manually? I have Time Warner Cable Kansas City and my software version is showing STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1001

mikinho

[quote=mattstallbaumer]

Is this up to TWC to push it to my TAs or is there away for me to update them manually? I have Time Warner Cable Kansas City and my software version is showing STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1001

[/quote]

TWC will need to push the firmware downstream.  It is up to the MSO’s discretion though the FCC regulation that cable providers need to support at least 4 streams (or the if their STB support more than that number) goes into effect August 1st so hopefully we will see more and more providers push it out.

mikinho

For those interested in the change see http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2010/db1014/FCC-10-181A1.pdf.

It goes in effect August 1st.  This covers CableCARD self-installs and TASDV changes:

To address the problems with tuning adapters identified by commenters, the satisfactory access standard will require cable operators to ensure that retail devices are able to tune at least as many switched digital channels as that operator’s most sophisticated operator-supplied set-top box or four simultaneous channels, whichever is greater.

Further, the satisfactory access standard will require the ability to tune and maintain the desired channel as long as it is being watched or recorded, and to do so reliably.  Furthermore, we prohibit cable operators from presenting their customers with misleading information regarding retail devices’ ability to tune switched digital channels

DFranch

I just rebooted my computer to do some windows updates.  When I rebooted, I checked the ceton diag utility and 1 adapter has 4 channels, while the second had 0.  I removed the extra tuning adapter and all is working with 1 cisco tuning adapter.  I’ll hang onto the extra one in case anything happens to the first one.

johnw248

To help plot the roll out, would you please add your cable company and geographic location?

John

swoon

Cox San Diego has now deployed the 1402 update to my TAs. Hooray! Now I can disconnect them 🙂

skelly

Matt,

Just checked my TA this morning, and I have the update. Everything is now running off a single TA.

FYI: Time Warner Kansas City – Lenexa

teddyboy

[quote=swoon]

Cox San Diego has now deployed the 1402 update to my TAs. Hooray! Now I can disconnect them 🙂

[/quote]

Other people on the greenbutton have been reporting that they are also receiveing the firmware update from Cox San Diego as well. I just ordered my Cablecard and TA from Cox last night. It should be here before I get home from work. I live up in Oceanside, so I’m assuming that I should get the firmware pushed out to me sometime soon. BTW they allow you to do self-installs for Cablecards now. The CSR asked if I wanted to have a tech come out or have the Cablecard and TA mailed to me for self-install :). They even have the Ceton, Moxi, ATI, and Tivo listed on the Cox site as retail devices that can have Cablecards.

I’ve had my Ceton for quite sometime (I was an early adopter), but I’m just now getting around to installing it.

johnw248

What will happen to your TA is that when you connect it to the Coax and the computer it will seem like it’ll take forever to boot up. It’s actually getting the update on first start-up (I just had to exchange a TA and the replacement had to go through this and I thought at first it was defective).

For this to work, it has to have a valid cableCARD to pair with. So install the Ceton card and then the cableCARD and go through the pairing (and you can run the full Media Center TV Set-up) and THEN plug in the TA and go for coffee. when you get back, it should have updated and booted.

John

DFranch

[quote=DFranch]

I just rebooted my computer to do some windows updates.  When I rebooted, I checked the ceton diag utility and 1 adapter has 4 channels, while the second had 0.  I removed the extra tuning adapter and all is working with 1 cisco tuning adapter.  I’ll hang onto the extra one in case anything happens to the first one.

[/quote]

Time Warner Cable Albany, NY

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.