Blu-ray Player Poll Results

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Blu-ray Player Poll Results

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

[url=http://www.missingremote.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5212&Itemid=231]Original Article Link[/url]

Its pretty obvious that Arcsoft’s player would win, and that the old stalwart PowerDVD would be second. I’d have kept using PowerDVD and totally ignored and thus never have tried ArcSoft if it didn’t have a few bugs that may or may not be fixed by now. But even more, ArcSoft’s player has features and an overall simplicity that PowerDVD doesn’t.

I should try the newer PowerDVD and see if said bugs are fixed, the integration with Media Center was really well done IMO. Still, I’d be using ArcSoft because of things like disc image support and such PowerDVD doesn’t have that I’ve come to require at this point.

captain_video
    Participant

How is it that I keep missing these polls?  They must be posted somewhere on the site that I don’t frequent because I’m here in the forums several times a day.

I’ve used both TMT and PDVD and can’t really say I have a preference.  I just want a program that allows me to play back Blu-Ray rips with HD audio, and both programs do that equally well.  I’m currently using PDVD 10 and it integrates seamlessly into Win 7 MC.  I understand that TMT3 does this as well.  I previously used the version of TMT that came with my Asus HDAV 1.3 sound card but I hear that TMT3 has more features and a new user interface.  It was a nice program but I can’t say it was any better than PDVD for my intended purposes.

PDVD 10 allows me to gain access to all of the controls and settings that suit my needs and I can operate the program like a standalone DVD player with my MC remote.  As long as the program does what I need I don’t really care which one it is.  During playback, the program should be invisible to the viewer so realistically you should never be able to tell which one is being used.

I currently have a dual-boot windows partition with Cyberlink’s PowerDVD loaded just for watching Blu-Rays with.  However, as soon as the next version of Mythtv is release I plan to change my vote to “Other” as it will be gaining native support and I won’t need that Windows partition for anything anymore.  🙂

mikinho
      Participant

[quote=”shadymg”]
        Given their support of ISOs which is definitely a geek format for storing movies, Arcsoft has that market completely cornered as Cyberlink does not support ISOs.
        [/quote]

Arcsoft TMT3 doesn’t support ISO format directly.  I think you meant BDMV format, not ISO  😛

Thats what you get for posting so late!

Screwed up my vote in the new poll, dammit.  Oh well.  That’s what margins of error are for.  😉

[quote=”captain_video”]
        How is it that I keep missing these polls?  They must be posted somewhere on the site that I don’t frequent because I’m here in the forums several times a day.
        [/quote]Don’t worry, I missed it as well.

My BD collection is minimal, so I just rip them using MakeMKV and playback through 7MC.

For the record, the polls are on the front page, right-hand side, pretty much at the top.

I was a little surprised how many people dont have blue ray yet (me being one of those votes.)  Only reason I havent switched yet is because I only have a tv that plays at 720p.    When I upgrade my TV i’ll def add a blue ray player to the HTPC.

Mike Garcen
        Participant

*sigh* definitely need to catch up on sleep. I did mean BDMV (ripped Blu-ray) not ISO. My bad fellas! Post has been edited!

[quote=”shadymg”]
          *sigh* definitely need to catch up on sleep.
          [/quote]

Stop scheduling those late night meetings then!  😛

[quote=”robinhoody”]
          I was a little surprised how many people dont have blue ray yet (me being one of those votes.)  Only reason I havent switched yet is because I only have a tv that plays at 720p.    When I upgrade my TV i’ll def add a blue ray player to the HTPC.
          [/quote]

Do you notice the difference between DVDs and HDTV?  If  you do, then you will see a benefit from BD on your 720p TV.

[quote=”autoboy”]
          [quote=”robinhoody”]
          [/quote]

Do you notice the difference between DVDs and HDTV?  If  you do, then you will see a benefit from BD on your 720p TV.
          [/quote]

I was going to say the same thing, but wasn’t quite sure how to word it.  I have a 1080i plasma and absolutely love the way Blu-rays look on it.  720p looks pretty darn good, too… significantly better than DVDs.  720p is nothing to sneeze at.

I am still running TMT2 but am uncertain if the upgrade to TMT3 is worth it?
          I bought the Software just before they released 3 (Had I known I would have waited) and they wouldnt give me a free upgrade.

So I pose the question, is TMT3 worth the upgrade cost?

mikinho
          Participant

[quote=”Mast3rL33″]
            I am still running TMT2 but am uncertain if the upgrade to TMT3 is worth it?
            I bought the Software just before they released 3 (Had I known I would have waited) and they wouldnt give me a free upgrade.

So I pose the question, is TMT3 worth the upgrade cost?
            [/quote]

I think that depends on whether or not you are happy with TMT2 and it is stable on your setup.  I could never use TMT2 since it was not 64-bit compatible but PDVD89 was.

Edit: I edited my post a little as my wording suggested that TMT3 had a native 64-bit version, which it doesn’t.

Funny. I run Win7 Home Premium x64 and have had no issues thus far.

The only complaint I have is that my infrared reciever locks up occasionally and I have to remove and reattach it to get my remote functional again. Which I am certain has nothing to do with TMT

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.