Blu-ray Player Poll Results

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Blu-ray Player Poll Results

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    mikinho
    Participant

[quote=”Mast3rL33″]
      Funny. I run Win7 Home Premium x64 and have had no issues thus far.
      [/quote]

x86-64 support was only added build 2.1.6.131 but by that time they were a little behind PDVD and TMT3 was soon released.

I currently use a component Blu-ray player after comparing pictures of the exact same movie. The video cards (ati 4850 HDMI) while getting better are still not quite there when comparing to a video chip in a console unit even after extensive calibration.. For HTPC I do prefer TMT3. I think the picture is best, still supports HD DVD and Blu-ray rip files. Another big factor into getting a console unit was the netflix streaming movie picture was superior by leaps and bounds.

LowTech
      Participant

HD-DVD support is a huge plus for TMT IMHO.

[quote=”theblur20″]
        The video cards (ati 4850 HDMI) while getting better are still not quite there when comparing to a video chip in a console unit even after extensive calibration..
        [/quote]

Really? I honestly have not been able to see much difference between the PC Graphics card and a dedicated unit. Though I dont have a unit to compare side by side.

Mike Garcen
        Participant

[quote=”Mast3rL33″]
          [quote=”theblur20″]
          The video cards (ati 4850 HDMI) while getting better are still not quite there when comparing to a video chip in a console unit even after extensive calibration..
          [/quote]

Really? I honestly have not been able to see much difference between the PC Graphics card and a dedicated unit. Though I dont have a unit to compare side by side.
          [/quote]

Ah now we can start this whole debate? 🙂 j/k

But seriously, there’s been threads and debates ever since the first HTPC came out debating the picture quality possibilities of it versus a separate dedicated device. There’s nothing definitive and usually just comes down to the individual’s opinion.

Andrew Van Til
          Keymaster

[quote=”shadymg”]
            [quote=”Mast3rL33″]
            [quote=”theblur20″]
            [/quote]

[/quote]

But seriously, there’s been threads and debates ever since the first HTPC came out debating the picture quality possibilities of it versus a separate dedicated device. There’s nothing definitive and usually just comes down to the individual’s opinion.
            [/quote]

Speaking about 1080p content there was a time when one could make the “PCs don’t do as good a job as a standalone player” argument but I’ve done side-by-side comparisons and if there are differences I can’t seem them.  That said, there are still usability arguments that can be made to favor a discrete device.

Once we move to non-1080p (at least in my experience) there is a strong case to be made that the PC’s GPU does a better job than many standalone players.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.