2TB Hitachi SATA 3 Bare HDD w/ 32MB Cache $65 after rebate w/ Free Shipping

Home Forums Hot Deals 2TB Hitachi SATA 3 Bare HDD w/ 32MB Cache $65 after rebate w/ Free Shipping

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

This may possibly be the lowest I have seen a 2TB drive. Only $65 after rebate w/ free shipping for a 2TB Hitachi Deskstar SATA 3 HDD from Newegg. Be sure to use promo code EMCKFHB25.

HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000 2TB 3.5″ SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Found on SD.

Techbutton

If you are looking for speed in a 2TB, this is not the place to look for it…this is a slow drive..Just a FYI

swoon

It may not be the fastest mechanical HDD, but it appears better than any other “Green” drive. Speeds are pretty close to the fastest 7200RPM drives with access times more in-line with slower drives.

SJMaye

I am not sure we are talking about the same drive, but this is the one I bought a couple months back for $69 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004E9SGO0

I had hope it would help with freezing I was experiencing with my Seagate drive.  Seems to perform exactly the same. 

The only thing I really need to add is this drive is loud.  A strong humming sound.  Sounds like the disc spinning and slightly out of balance.  It works OK, but the noise is annoying.  The drive mounted on rubber in my HTPC case and I can hear it from 15 feet away.  Definitely worse than any other drive I have had.  As soon as I get a chance I will return to Hitachi for replacement.  My fear is they are all like this.

oliverredfox

I’ve got this drive too.  I never hear it, even when doing large file transfers.  That humming noise makes me think you got a bad drive that may fail soon.

As for the bit about it being a slow drive, it is fairly responsive.  It’s in a system with a 64gb SSD (OS Drive), but games and data are kept on the hard drive.  As far as I can tell, the SATA III port is just marketing and doesn’t offer any benefit over SATA II.  I don’t have a modern 7200 drive to compare it to, so maybe in comparison it could super slow.  I have a SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 in another system and they seem about the same.  Haven’t benchmarked either, but in my real world use, they both do their job well.

SJMaye

That’s great to hear yours is not like mine.  I will return it ASAP.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.