Re: Review: Ceton InfiniTV 4 Quad CableCARD Tuner – Part I

Home Forums Re: Review: Ceton InfiniTV 4 Quad CableCARD Tuner – Part I

[quote=”joao12345″]
Hi,
Just wondering…i know that certain type of recorded content can only be accessed by the HTPC housing the card the only exception to this are MCE extenders. Does the same limitation apply to media players i.e Western Digital WD TV (supports WMV9) or ASUS OPlay (supports WMV)? can these devices access the recorded media freely like an extender????
[/quote]

Niether of those are certified Media Center extenders. They basically just pull whatever files it find on the network across, using your PC a file server. Further, neither support the newer WTV format that Media Center 7 uses.

A MCX (Media Center Extender) is actually a special thin client type device that relies on the Media Center PC as a host for a special MCX user interface session on the PC. To the system it behaves almost like another user is logged on, ala Remote Desktop. So it is much more than just a file server. This also means it is more secure and is in essense just an extension of the main PC, so copy protected content can be played.