Re: Big Cable Is Bleeding: 500K+ Subscribers Lost In Q3

Home Forums Re: Big Cable Is Bleeding: 500K+ Subscribers Lost In Q3

captain_video
Participant

I know everyone gripes about their cable bills but I can’t really fault the providers for raising prices.  People keep demanding more and more content so the providers try and oblige.  Content costs money and their providers keep raising their prices.  Since we all know all costs are passed along to the consumer we get stuck paying the bill.  Cablecos also have to keep updating their infrastructure to keep up with the demand for more bandwidth so on and on it goes. 

Cable rate hikes are in the same category as death and taxes.  They’re all something you can count on.  That being said, I’m on the verge of dropping HBO.  Verizon charges me about $23 per month for just HBO, even though I get every HBO channel in existence.  With NetFlix I don’t need all the movies.  I only watch HBO for their regular series, which amounts to only a few shows per week.

I’d love to see providers offer their services a la carte instead of bundled in packages with a hundred channels I’ll never watch.  Aside from my locals, I only watch a handful of channels on cable.  My wife likes other channels so the total count is a bit higher between the two of us.

I’ve been able to reduce my monthly costs a bit after getting my Ceton InfiniTV 4.  I no longer pay monthly equipment rental fees except for a few CableCARDs.  It does tick me off that in order to get FxHD I have to get the HD Xtreme package or whatever they’re calling it now for an additional monthly fee.