Yay for screwy problems! – FIXED

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Yay for screwy problems! – FIXED

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

So I bit the bullet and upgraded to a Radeon 5670 and Pioneer VSX-520 to get HD audio over HDMI. Had to end up getting new speakers too (so needless to say my wife was starting to get annoyed. “Speakers? Why speakers? What’s wrong with these speakers?” Which led into a discussion regarding 3-ohm and 8-ohm speakers, wire gauge, etc.)

Ever since I upgraded I’ve been having intermittent issues when watching some DVDs and Blu-Rays. The problem ONLY occurs when watching the physical media. If I enable AnyDVD, physical media works. Disk images over the network work fine. Basically what happens is that the screen will flicker purple and green, the sound will stutter, and I will often have to shut down Media Center and restart it.

Part of my whole rationale for the upgrade was being able to get rid of AnyDVD and the periodic updates for new disks. I’m guessing this is some sort of HDCP or encryption issue, but should it even BE an issue with a pure digital connection?

Here’s my setup as it stands:

Q6600 / 4GB RAM
    Windows 7 HP
    LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD drive
    64GB SSD Boot / 1TB RecTV
    ATI Radeon 5670 PCIe
    Hauppauge HVR-2250 (x2)
    Hauppauge HVR-1600 (x2)

HDMI connection goes from receiver, then from receiver to TV.

Any ideas? I think I’m going to download the Blu-Ray adviser to check and if HDCP is supported
    (surely it is, my TV is a 2010 model as is the receiver.)

Thanks for the help, fellas!

First thing that crossed my mind was whether you were running the latest Catalyst drivers.

Oh, yes, forgot to post that. Installed 10.6 when I got the card and tried 10.7  the other night. Full suite both times, no difference.

Updated the Intel chipset drivers today (motherboard is a FoxConn ELA using P45). No effect.

Starting to wonder if maybe my drive is going bad? It’s one of the original LG BD/HD-DVD readers from back in ’07.

If the discs work when AnyDVD is enabled, then it shouldn’t be anything wrong with the drive.

This is a bit of a long shot, but try disabling HDMI CEC support in the receiver. You never know what might be screwing with things.

I don’t find any reference to CEC in the manual for my model receiver, I’m wondering if it’s not supported?

EDIT

I also noticed remembered that my BIOS was set to IDE mode, so I changed it AHCI . . . no difference.

ARGH!  :'(

[quote=”XMan”]
    I don’t find any reference to CEC in the manual for my model receiver, I’m wondering if it’s not supported?

EDIT

I also noticed remembered that my BIOS was set to IDE mode, so I changed it AHCI . . . no difference.

ARGH!  :'(
    [/quote]

Pionner calls their version “Kuro Link” I believe.

Well whata’ ya know it doesn’t seem to offer CEC, I thought every vendor had it enabled on their receivers now. Guess the lower-end Pioneer’s don’t have it.

It was a long shot that it would be a problem anyway.

Tried changing my HDMI input from TV/SAT to BD, thinking maybe it had some problems with 1080p on an connector intended for a TV box. No help.

One of my HDMI cables is a clearance special from Menards, so maybe it’s an issue. I went ahead and ordered a couple new ones from Monoprice

Hoo, boy, what a trip. Got the new HDMI cables today. Reran everything and noticed that the connection at the video card just wasn’t very solid. I pulled my HTPC out and examined it . . . in the LC-10E, the slot farthest away from the power supply has a ridged lip on it. The shield around the HDMI cable was running into the lip. So I shifted the card over a little bit and then wacked on the lip a bit to fold it over just enough so that the cable would seat fully. Everything now works like a champ.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.