XBMC now on AppleTV2

Home Forums Home Theater Computers XBMC now on AppleTV2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Thanks to our forum user Mados123 for this heads up:

http://lifehacker.com/5739364/how-to-install-xbmc-on-your-apple-tv-2

after XBMC is successfully installed, frontrow(ATV2 home screen) will restart and you will see XBMC in it.

Crim

Whoa! Nice, I might have to do this for a bedroom HTPC. 🙂

Mike Garcen

this is definitely front page worthy! I don’t think anyone is really surprised, I look forward to seeing more people mod the AppleTV2. Would love to see someone’s reactions to how well this actually works on it

Mike Garcen

and just as i say that, check out the video Ben Drawbaugh just posted over at EngadgetHD:

Very impressive performance for an embedded client, especially at only $99! I might have to change my tune about this little guy

mikinho

This honestly makes me want to get an ATV just to try it out and review.

Mike Garcen

[quote=mikinho]

This honestly makes me want to get an ATV just to try it out and review.

[/quote]

I totally agree! Heck, i remember when i spent over $150 just to do this same thing on the OLD AppleTV….me thinks we may have to get one of these bad boys in house!! Money mouth

dbone1026

I am actually more interested in the iPad version, especially since it appears hardware acceleration will be pushed onto the iPad (take some pressure off my WHS when transcoding is needed).

Mike Garcen

[quote=dbone1026]

I am actually more interested in the iPad version, especially since it appears hardware acceleration will be pushed onto the iPad (take some pressure off my WHS when transcoding is needed).

[/quote]

but why? are you going to connect your iPad to your big screen?

autoboy

but why? are you going to connect your iPad to your big screen?

So he can watch his movies on his ipad in complete comfort laying on his couch…oh wait…

ipad couch

mados123

I was actually going to return my Roku | XPS to get the Sony SMP-N100 because of its ability to play DLNA with TVersity.  Now, it looks like I am going to skip that and get the AppleTV2.  I was reluctant to move to the ATV due to its dependency on iTunes but with XBMC for network shares (without transcoding), Netflix, Pandora plugin w/ XBMC, Airplay and other various goodies, this is looking really great.  I don’t mind the 720p as my HDTV is “only” 32.  As an MShead, I can’t believe the Apple products, with their excellent hardware, has become the hacker’s delight.  I guess that is what accessibility does.

As a note, for those with older A/V receivers and RCA audio inputs like on my TV, Monoprice has an excellent, low cost Digital Coax & Optical Toslink to Analog Audio Converter.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=6884&seq=1&format=4%3Ca

I’ll be using that with the AmazonBasic HDMI to DVI adapter cable.

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-HDMI-Adapter-Cable-Meters/dp/B001TH7T2U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1295590133&sr=1-1

SHSPVR

The things is XBMC is nothing more fancy front-end, It lack any real DVR/PVR functionality so there is useless.

LandShark

[quote=Crim]

[/quote]

Exactly what I’m planning to do.  But before I go grab a ATV2, could anyone tell me what kinda audio out (format wise) does the ATV2’s HDMI supports?  I think it only support up to DD5.1 according to Apple’s spec.  But could it do LPCM 5.1?  DTS?  Any HD audio format?

Gunserotti

If people are looking for a device that provides an HTPC experience without all the fuss why not the SageTV HD300.  I upgraded to this device from a PCH A-200 and couldn’t be happier. It just works… 

LandShark

[quote=LandShark]

[quote=Crim]

[/quote]

Exactly what I’m planning to do.  But before I go grab a ATV2, could anyone tell me what kinda audio out (format wise) does the ATV2’s HDMI supports?  I think it only support up to DD5.1 according to Apple’s spec.  But could it do LPCM 5.1?  DTS?  Any HD audio format?

[/quote]

Ok, I went to the Apple store and bought a ATV2 to try it out.  It isn’t hard to get xbmc installed, and running.  Everything seems pretty good imho.  The GUI is a tiny bit sluggish, but not bad at all!  And it can’t even play my straight ripped Bluray backup too (mkv container, flac audio) with slight lacking in fast motion.  DD 5.1 bitstream works with a slight modify of the xml file, at least that’s what the xbmc forum said. 

However, my biggest problem is I’ve have a tons of rmvb videos (and will have more down the road as it’s a preferred format, don’t know why(?), for most asian tv shows), and either the ATV2 or the xbmc’s problem, it just can’t play any of the rmvb files regardless the video resolution (SD, HD, doesn’t matter).  

So, unless I could find a solution for it to play rmvb files, it’s going back to the Apple store…..  Frown

But besides the rmvb problem, I still think it’s a perfect cheap little streamer for place like bedroom, etc.!  For a full blown home theater, living room, place where you actually enjoy, watch the movie, it’s just not up to it (yet)! 

mados123

@Landshark:  Would you use TVersity on your media storage box (if it has the specs to support it)?  They have a free version and TVersity supports Real Video/Audio/RMVB.  I am not sure if ATV2 natively supports connecting to TVersity but I think XBMC can connect to uPNP devices. 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.