Why is it so difficult to cut the Cable?

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Why is it so difficult to cut the Cable?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

New house, no cable. Since April. I really miss sports. Also Mad Men and the Soup.

We’ve been wathing a lot of netflix streaming, and a bit of Hulu. The Hulu app for media center is just less convenient than Netflix. I see a huge quality difference, my wife does not, we both love not paying for cable.

The Stanley Cup playoffs were rough. I made sure I was in a bar or buddy’s house for all the Blackhawks’ games but pretty much missed everything else. I can enjoy baseball on the radio and there is enough free football for me. Still, hockey season will come again. I would purchase the NHL online package, but Hawks’ games are blacked out in Chicago, and that is a deal breaker. Still need to find a solution.

Speaking of sports, my comcast cable connection comes with free ESPN3. Is there a way to get this into VMC (or soon 7MC) without an XBOX?

jennyfur
    Participant

[quote=”ntwp13″]
      Speaking of sports, my comcast cable connection comes with free ESPN3. Is there a way to get this into VMC (or soon 7MC) without an XBOX?
      [/quote]

Use [url=http://www.playon.tv/playon/content-providers?loc=pl1]PlayOn Premium[/url] and [url=http://myweb.cableone.net/eluttmann04/projects/vmcPlayIt/default.html]vmcPlayIt[/url].

I’ll have to check those out. I was pretty excited to see my cable bill was only 70 bucks this month instead of 150.85 in July. I was thinking about the CETON tuner but having a few hundred channels of nothing worth watching the majority of the time isn’t worth the 70 bucks a month plus up front 400 bucks for hardware. Now if HuluPlus can get the shows I want I’ll pay the 10 bucks a month. HBO and Showtime can be handled via torrents. Maybe Comcast will wake up and lower their prices if enough people drop the extra services, but most likely they’ll just screw us and raise the internet rate.

[quote=”Meester.Rip”]
      Maybe Comcast will wake up and lower their prices if enough people drop the extra services, but most likely they’ll just screw us and raise the internet rate.
      [/quote]

I can def see cable companies raising internet prices if they continue to loose customers.  One way or the other the consumer is getting screwed.

jennyfur
      Participant

[quote=”robinhoody”]
        [quote=”Meester.Rip”]
        Maybe Comcast will wake up and lower their prices if enough people drop the extra services, but most likely they’ll just screw us and raise the internet rate.
        [/quote]

I can def see cable companies raising internet prices if they continue to loose customers.  One way or the other the consumer is getting screwed.
        [/quote]

I see them adding metered services… those who use more will pay more.

captain_video
        Participant

[quote=”robinhoody”]
          [quote=”Meester.Rip”]
          [/quote]

[/quote]
          Comcast already charges you a premium for internet if you decline their other services.  I was paying about $60 per month just for wideband when I could have gotten both internet and basic TV from them for less than $40.  How does that make any sense?

I know I get a 10 dollar mutli service fee discount via Comcast. I pay 39.95 for the 10mb down and then 20 something plus the all the taxes for TV.

It took me about 3 months to order comcast internet because I would get so frustrated every time I called trying to get a suitable package. I finally settled on Internet + phone. The phone costs more than the simple ($11/month) local only line I had from ATT, but the two together are cheaper than internet + the BS single service fee.

Overall, I feel that Comcast has a quality product, but I truly HATE the company.

mikinho
          Participant

[quote=”ntwp13″]
            Overall, I feel that Comcast has a quality product, but I truly HATE the company.
            [/quote]

My sentiments exactly.

I can’t get Verizon FiOS in my neighborhood or I would switch.  Though Comcast will be offering 50MB/s down by the end of the year here in Houston so not as much reason to switch to FiOS.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.