Which version of Win7???

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Which version of Win7???

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Need some advise choosing a Win7 version.

Here’s what I’m planning to do.

I’m building a box to host a Centon Tuner to be shared to my HTPCs.  I would also like to be able to access this PC remotely (via WHS remote access) to be able to schedule it to record something I may have forgotten to schedule with one of the HTPCs.

The HTPCs are running Win7 Home Premium x64 so I know I can’t remote access them.  For the new Box should I use Win7 Professional or Ulitimate for remote access and W7MC??

mikinho

With the RDP concurrent “patch” you can enable Remote Desktop on Home Premium but I do not know whether that works through WHS remote access.

My HTPCs I put W7 Ultimate since RemoteFX is limited to Ultimate edition.  I don’t believe RemoteFX makes sense for everyone but I’ve got a few projects in mind with it.  My kids PCs and our laptops all run W7 Professional.

phoneguyinpgh

[quote=mikinho]

With the RDP concurrent “patch” you can enable Remote Desktop on Home Premium but I do not know whether that works through WHS remote access.

[/quote]

RDP concurrent “patch”??  Please explain.  If I can get away with Win7 Home that would be a big plus since I have a spare copy.

skirge01

[quote=mikinho]With the RDP concurrent “patch” you can enable Remote Desktop on Home Premium but I do not know whether that works through WHS remote access.[/quote]

WHS doesn’t allow remote access (via it’s web interface) to Windows 7 64 bit.

phoneguyinpgh

[quote=skirge01]

WHS doesn’t allow remote access (via it’s web interface) to Windows 7 64 bit.

[/quote]

Major bummer.    Frown

skirge01

You can still use RDP to connect directly to your machine, bypassing WHS entirely.

mikinho

[quote=phoneguyinpgh]

RDP concurrent “patch”??  Please explain.  If I can get away with Win7 Home that would be a big plus since I have a spare copy.

[/quote]

See http://www.missingremote.com/guide/how-enable-concurrent-sessions-windows-7-rtm.  If you run it on Home Premium it enables RDP.  From there if you don’t want to use WHS to RDP you can setup different WAN ports to map to 3389 on your LAN so you can connect to different systems externally.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.