Which brand AVR has the best web-based control interface?

Home Forums Home Theater Construction Help Which brand AVR has the best web-based control interface?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hey!

I’m looking into getting a new AVR. I want it to be Play To certified and fortunately and unfortunately, I have a Windows Phone and there are no official control apps from the major AVR manufacturers. I’m going to have to control it through the web interface, but I haven’t found any screenshots or youtube videos of the web interfaces themselves. Does anyone have any insight on which company makes the most user-friendly web-based control system (even better if it looks okay on a smartphone).

Thanks! -Jonathan

Aaron Ledger

Denon’s web interface is functional in a regular browser though I would probably not want to use it on a device screen. Here’s an example screen capture from my AVR-2112CI.

jonathanrn

Thanks Aaron! That may be do-able. I’m actually only looking to be able to turn the AVR on and off (standby), and switch inputs on Zone 2. Maybe I don’t even need that. Tell me, how do you work with Zone 2? I have a set of speakers outside that I want exclusively connected to a bluetooth box (a simple RCA L and R). Could I just leave Zone 2 on all the time connected to that particular input so whenever I want to stream music outside, all I need to do is make sure the AVR is on? I hope that makes sense.

-Jonathan

Aaron Ledger

The Denon interface wouldn’t be too bad to do what you want. Since you won’t be switching inputs on zone 2, I don’t think you would need to do that but the first time when you set it up. From that point forward, you could just power on. You could also bookmark the web pages for quicker access (reserving an IP for the unit or assigning a static IP).

I don’t really find zone 2 all that useful for my needs currently. The AVR-2112 is a bit limited in that regard as it will not take in a digital source and output on zone 2, but analog works fine so it would work for your application. Denon does have higher-tier models that offer more functionality in this regard.

GeoffBQ

Hey Johathan,

Denon actually has very good discrete control either through serial cable and it’s RS-232 port or just over IP.  The IP commands work just like the RS-232 commands and are actually the same with a r for the carriage return.  I can send you a list of the ones that you will want to use if you need me to.  Denon also has a free app for iOS and Android that you can use to do what you want.  I would not recommend leaving Zone2 on all the time, as easy as it is to turn it on and off whenever you want your unit will last much longer when you turn it off and it gets to cool down when you are not using it.  I program RTI remotes for a living and the Denon/Marantz are some of the easiest receivers I work with as far as control is concerned.  Yamaha and Pioneer all have the same capability though so go with what you like best they all sound different.  Don’t skimp if you don’t have to, spend around $600-700 retail on any of these brands and you will be happy for a long time, many years.  If you can get them wholesale they all are great values.  They all have great built in streaming capabilities and can give you control and Meta-Data on your favorite phone or pad.  In the end I have a Denon and recommend it and the Marantz to all my clients, they use the same control parameters but sound different.

These receivers are really capable today and people are not using them as much as they could.  If I can help you let me know.

Geoff

Aaron Ledger

Denon’s Telnet interface is well-documented. Other than writing up a WP7 app, I’m not sure how useful it would be vs. bookmarking the web config pages of interest. I’ve attached Denon’s AVR-2312CI protocol. If you read through, you can see that to say turn power on, you would need to:

1. telnet to IP of AVR

2. enter “PWON” where is just a carriage return.

GeoffBQ

I am sorry if I was being to simple in my explanation.  You have to send a carraige return after every command so power on would send like this in Telnet:

PWONr

It works the same via RS-232 which is what I was saying. In the custom remote world we have been sending RS-232 commands to CE gear for years and we are very happy they have opened that control up to their IP port.

In their mobile OS apps besides control I believe that if he was streaming Pandora through the Denon he would get album art and meta-data for the song.  So if he is sitting outside hanging with some friends and a song came on they did not know they can see what it is and either skip it or like it.  Pretty cool, RTI has full support for that functionality so I am pretty sure their app does too.

Geoff

GeoffBQ

Dude,

Pick up an old iTouch for around $100 and use it as your exclusive remote it would be so sweet.

Geoff

jonathanrn

Great info guys! Thank you so much! I think I might be just geeky enough to play with the IP control. If not, I can always fall back onto an iPod Touch.

Thanks again!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.