Whatever happened to the “other” format war?

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Whatever happened to the “other” format war?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

I don’t quite keep up with what’s going on on the music side these days, but all of the talk of the format war between Blu-Ray and HD DVD has gotten me to thinking.  Whatever happened to the so-called war between DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD?  I used to get Sound & Vision magazine and that was always a hot debate over which format was superior…much like today’s talk over the movie formats.  But all the talk about which audio format was going to win and eventually replace the CD…and these 2 are all but dead, aren’t they?  I rarely hear of any talk about either one, and I don’t really see any players advertised any where.  There may be a DVD player out there that can play DVD-Audio, but it’s not really like it’s a hyped-up feature.  My local Best Buy at one time had a small section of DVD-Audio discs, and in the back of the store had another small section of Super Audio CDs…but now I can’t even find either section.  Any one have any thoughts on this?  Will the movie format war end up like this, too?  For whatever reason, I sided with DVD-Audio those years ago.  But with BR and HD DVD, it doesn’t really matter to me.  As far as the picture quality, I can’t really say that one is better than the other.  I think HD DVD has an edge in player price.  It was a lot more affordable for me to get in to the HD DVD game than Blu-Ray.  And if the prices that I’ve seen some of you leak for Black Friday are true for some of the players, that should give HD DVD a big push.  The one plus for BR is the discs are slightly cheaper.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.