Vista Media Center Performance to a 360

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Vista Media Center Performance to a 360

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

I finally got around to migrating my server to Vista and am having some issues. Here’s a quick rundown. The machine I’m using is a newish Lenovo SFF desktop. Core2Duo 2.00, 4GB RAM, Hauppauge PVR-500 and one Cat’s Eye 150 OTA tuner card. Integrated Intel video. I then have two Xbox360s that I use as extenders all connected on a gigabit network.  (FYI I just grabbed the lastest drivers for the integrated video)

SDTV works pretty well maybe plays a little catchup after fast forwarding in 30sec increments. HDTV is a different story. Very choppy, speckled playback etc.  Records fine but playback stinks. Using terminal services to connect to the server while it was sending out an HD stream had the processor at about 40-60%.  SDTV streams have it at about 4-10%.

So my question is this: My last server had integrated video and was running of one of those mATX Centrino motherboards that never really caught on. Pretty weak processor and graphics, but ran perfect in SDTV and HDTV under MCE2005.  What gives with this new box? Is it Vista, or the integrated video?  I thought that the Xbox did the decoding work so I wouldn’t think I would need to get a better video card but I guess I could be wrong.  It appears the server is working pretty hard to send out the streams so that could be the case.  Can you replace the default decoders in Vista like you could in MCE? (e.g. Nvidia’s)

If so does anyone know a good low profile PCie card?

Thanks in advance.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.