Video tour: Xbox 360 Fall 2010 Dashboard update

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Video tour: Xbox 360 Fall 2010 Dashboard update

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

[url=http://www.missingremote.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5189&Itemid=1]Original Article Link[/url]

I’m pretty excited for this, joystiq gave the best review of ESPN3 that I’ve seen so far.  Hopefully Timewarner has it together and I can fully use ESPN3 on the xbox when they update.  I dont have cable just OTA and I do miss out on some college football games so hopefully this will fill the void.

Just an FYI to anyone that is a Internet only Time warner subscriber this is off TW’s website.  I was just reading through some of the postings on that blog and people are ANGRY! lol.  I think TW is just scared they are losing people to just internet services and streaming video.  So they are making you have the digital cable package to access ESPN3.  The silly thing is that ESPN3 is a online service for broadband users, not cable users.  Why would a cable user jump on ESPN 3 when they can flip the channel to any ESPN station or use their DVR to record a game…hmm 
    My guess down the road or soon they will be switching that any subscriber can access espn3.  For the meantime I’ll just use my parents comcast login lol

“Here’s the deal — Time Warner Cable is really, really excited to use the Internet to enhance the video packages that our customers buy from us. ESPN3 allows us to do just that. Because we see ESPN3 as an extension of our video product, we are making its available to all of our customers who subscribe to ESPN, instead of tying it to customers’ broadband subscriptions. ESPN360 will not be available to RoadRunner only customers.”

http://www.twcableuntangled.com/2010/09/espn3-we-have-a-deal-but-its-going-to-take-time-to-implement/

Mike Garcen
    Participant

wow, that’s pretty absurd. I’m a Comcast BASIC cable subscriber but i have access to ESPN3 (thankfully!!!).

Btw, i’ll defend my opinion a bit…part of what bugs me about the ESPN section is that it’s soooo graphical that you have to scroll a bunch of times to see everything that’s on. In the ESPN3 interface, I can simply see everything on, and everything forthcoming, and click away at it. I understand the XBox has to be different given it’s control method…but I prefer the 3 version.

Quick update on this, I know this is an older post but as everyone knows the new dashboard for xbox 360 was released on Monday.   ESPN on the xbox wont stream live content or display full events if you have Time Warner ISP/Cable.  I did a little searching around, ESPN and Timewarner are working together to make this work.  However ESPN on the xbox 360 requires you to have digital cable subscription plus Time warner internet to view any of the full events on your xbox.  I tested out some of the short clips yesterday and the quality is quite impressive when compared to ESPN3’s  website.

So far the only live stuff I’ve seen on my 360 has been soccer. But I am very impressed with how well it works. On all the shows, live included, buffering only lasts a second or two and it starts playing. I wonder if it is an IPTV protocol.

I keep meaning to check out the Netflix and voice chat improvements but I get side tracked.

And it looks like the XBOX site is getting ready to offer the family subscription soon.  I wonder if the fall update had to be in place before they open that subscription up.

[quote=”robinhoody”]
      Quick update on this, I know this is an older post but as everyone knows the new dashboard for xbox 360 was released on Monday.   ESPN on the xbox wont stream live content or display full events if you have Time Warner ISP/Cable.  I did a little searching around, ESPN and Timewarner are working together to make this work.  However ESPN on the xbox 360 requires you to have digital cable subscription plus Time warner internet to view any of the full events on your xbox.  I tested out some of the short clips yesterday and the quality is quite impressive when compared to ESPN3’s  website.
      [/quote]
      I figured as much as I only have TWC internet service.  I thought they might use some hardware restrictions for web access and filter the internet content that way, however, for web access to ESPN3 you need to use a login (which you sign up for through TW with your billing info, hence tying a digital cable subscription to ESPN3 access).  So since its more that just an ISP filter, I’m not sure how the XBOX360 interface will work unless Msoft changes something on their end, like requiring a login, or TW decided to open in up even to non-digital cable subscribers. 

Moving forward, what is preventing TW from blocking access to TNT or USA network websites (for example) with TV online content unless you have a TV package that would allow you to see that programming? 

jennyfur
      Participant

Me likey ESPN.
        So much better than through PlayOn.
        Now if only xbox would catch up to PS3 and get an mlb.tv app I’d be set. As it is I stick to the dashboard for Netflix now, only switching over to the extender for TV or music. And I don’t listen to much of my own music since I’m usually just playing Last.fm

Gonna get kinect if I can find a decent deal.

I have an idea on how to get around this whole TW problem.  If you know someone with an ISP that gets ESPN, or if I can find a proxy service out there that gets ESPN3.  Not sure how to do it yet since I havent done any research on it.  I’m guessing I will have to either put together a VPN tunnel using another ISP (program running on a PC with a good ISP and using DD-WRT ?)  and redirect the xbox to use that vpn tunnel or redirect traffic from the xbox to a proxy service.

Kinect?  Really?  I’m highly interested in both Kinect and Move, but I’m waiting to see how the games shake out first.  While people who have tried Kinect are impressed with the technology, the games are pretty much on rails, which usually doesn’t make for a very good experience and leads to boredom rather quickly.

jennyfur
        Participant

[quote=”Skirge01″]
          Kinect?  Really?  I’m highly interested in both Kinect and Move, but I’m waiting to see how the games shake out first.  While people who have tried Kinect are impressed with the technology, the games are pretty much on rails, which usually doesn’t make for a very good experience and leads to boredom rather quickly.
          [/quote]

Yeah I agree that there’s no killer games out yet, which is why I said “[i]if[/i] I can find a decent deal”. I blew it back when MS had those $50 off $100 coupons. Trying to decide if I should jump on the kmart or toys r us deal now, or wait and see if any good black friday stuff pops up. Really the only two games I think are worth bothering with at the moment are kinectimals (if you’ve got kids, which I don’t) or Dance Central. Those two also seem to be getting the best online reviews out of the launch lineup. Luckily kinect has a little bit more usefulness than just the gaming part since it adds voice/gesture control. Beyond the voice/gesture control the only things I’d want it for anyway are exercise games and stupid party games — in other words a replacement for the Wii.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.