Video Cards & 3D Movies

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Video Cards & 3D Movies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Supposed to be getting a 3D TV delivered on Wednesday.  3D is not really a big deal to me, but I do want to get it set up just in case.  I’m really confused on what I need for 3D playback, as they have really seemed to make everything unclear with all the different formats, cable requirements, and even the glasses.  But what I’m wondering at the moment is will any video card work for displaying 3D or does the video card have to support it?  I have a 2600xt that has been working fine, and I want to know if I can keep using it or will I have to change it for 3D?

swoon

What you most likely are going to need is an HDMI 1.4-capable GPU such as the NVIDIA GT 430 if you expect to play 3D Blu-ray discs and other frame-packed sequential 3D source material. I can verify that the GT 430 is fully capable of 3D BD playback using HDMI 1.4. You can also check out Andrew’s review of the GTS 450.

If the source material is frame-compatible, e.g.side-by-side, then you can use your existing GPU. Broadcast 3D like ESPN 3D is currently using frame-compatible.

htpc_user

Thanks.  That’s kind of what I figured.  While I’m at it, I was thinking of getting a card that can bitstream the audio, which the 4xx cards can do, right?  Do any of the ATI cards support 3D and bitstreaming as well?

swoon

Yes, the NVIDIA 4xx series can bitstream audio. Be aware that the driver is still young (see Andrew’s review). ATI 6xxx are supposed to be HDMI 1.4-capable, but no cards currently released in that series are HTPC-focused ATM. ATI has talked about their 5xxx series being 3D-capable, but I don’t think anything’s been released there yet.

babgvant

[quote=htpc_user]

Thanks.  That’s kind of what I figured.  While I’m at it, I was thinking of getting a card that can bitstream the audio, which the 4xx cards can do, right?  Do any of the ATI cards support 3D and bitstreaming as well?

[/quote]

AMD’s 4xxx card can bit stream lossy formats only, you will need a 5xxx card to support lossless bit streaming.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.