Value of Old PC Parts

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Value of Old PC Parts

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Is it just me, or does anyone else have a problem with what older PC parts sell for on places like eBay, or even new at places?  Occasionally I will look on eBay to see what the price of a certain video card is or maybe a CPU and some times I’m amazed at what someone is trying to sell something for or what someone is willing to pay for it.  Some times I’m hoping to find a deal on something like 9600 pro or xt or a 9800.  But when I see prices near $100, it leaves me baffled.  You could buy a newer generation card for that.  Another thing that REALLY leaves me scratching my head is a socket 754 Athlon 64 3700 cpu.  I gave my son my old HTPC a while back that has a Sempron 3100 socket 754 and I was looking up what the fastest cpu that I could put in it and discovered the 3700.  Just before posting this I looked the price up on eBay to see what it was going for and the price was $345.  $345 for a cpu that is 2 sockets ago (am2, 939, 754)?  When I think of buying older stuff whether it’s still new or actually used I think about what can I get for the same price.  For $345 you could get a new motherboard, a dual core cpu, and some RAM…maybe even a cheap video card.  So can anyone justify the price on this thing?  Sure it’s discontinued and may even be hard to find, at least at some point, but when I can buy something brand new that’s better, why would I want to buy it?  But the main point of my post isn’t to talk about this one particular CPU, but rather the price of older stuff as a whole.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.