Upgrade questions

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Upgrade questions

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

So I’ve decided I want to update my HTPC to windows 7, SageTV 7, and get it ready for a cable card tuner.

I know there are some components that won’t work or work well under windows 7.

Here’s my current list of components:

MSI K9N socket 939 motherboard
    AMD A64 X2 4850e 2.5GHz
    HIS ATI HD 4670 video card
    3GB DDR2 800 (2x512mb & 2x1GB)
    Uneed X11 rev. 1 case w/ VFD&IR & rev. 2 HD cage
    Cosair 520W PS
    Mitsumi floppy w/ USB 2.0 card reader built in
    Seagate 160GB hard drive (OS/docs)
    WD GP 750GB hard drive (videos)
    WD GP 1TB hard drive (videos)
    LG GGC-H20L BD/HD player/DVD Burner
    Hauppauge PVR-500 MCE 2x NTSC tuner (PCI)
    DVICO FusionHDTV Lite ATSC tuner (PCI)
    Vbox Cat’s Eye 150 ATSC tuner (PCI)
    Avner M780 ATSC & NTSC tuners (PCIe)

The video card takes up two slots, but it exhaust out the back of the case so I don’t mind.

I’ve got another WD 1TB hard drive, so I’m going to put that in, and maybe get a laptop drive or SSD for the OS (instead of the seagate 160).  The case is fairly limited, and I could be talked into changing it…

I am going to get rid of the floppy drive (tells you how long ago I put this together…).

I currently have two Comcast DTA’s output to the PVR-500 and the NTSC tuner of the M780 (both via coax).  I’d love to replace the tuners with a cablecard….  I also have a PVR-2250 (I think that’s the number) but can’t use it as I have no other PCIe slots.  I know the PVR-500 has issues with Win7, so I’m hoping to use the following configuration till the cablecard tuners are released:

PVR-2250 (input through a combiner from both Comcast DTA’s: one ch 3, one ch 4)
    M780
    Fusion HDTV Lite
    Vbox Cat’s eye.

Though if the combiner doesn’t work, one DTA could go to the M780 and one to the PVR-2250.

But this plan requires a new motherboard…

If I go that route, I’ve got a question: which will give me better picture (and sound over HDMI): my current ATI 4670, a ATI 5570 or 5770, or the Intel HD graphics in the i3/i5 processors?

That kinda affects my motherboard choice…

Thanks,
    Mike

PS Sorry for being so long winded…

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.