Suggestions for Low-End PC

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Suggestions for Low-End PC

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

OK, I need some help here.  There’s an older lady that I work with who just bought a (very) small house and the TV that she is using is an awful 13″ TV with a small DVD player connected to it.  She doesn’t have cable or satellite, and the antenna she has connected to it doesn’t pick up channels well and everything she watches has terrible static in it.  I have an old computer that I want to give her with a 17″ monitor to get them out of my way and let her borrow some divx movies or TV shows that I convert to divx for her to watch that will beat watching that 13″.  The computer has a Pentium III 550 mhz cpu with 320mb of RAM and a Geforce 256 AGP card.  It’s running Windows 98.  My question is, what’s a good media player for a system like this?  Something that I can play divx/xvid files on.  I found out that Divx 6.6.1 will not work on Windows 98, so I found an older version (5.2.1) that does work…kind of.  When trying to play back an xvid file it says the audio is not supported, so that leads me to believe I really need an updated codec that Windows 98 just won’t support.  Is there anything I can use, or am I going to have to upgrade to Windows XP on the computer?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.