Streaming video cannibalizing DVD rentals, says Netflix

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Streaming video cannibalizing DVD rentals, says Netflix

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Original Article Link

[i]”The phenomenon reinforces the fact that online offerings really do compete with physical media for the same pieces of the movie pie, and that could prove worrisome for Blu-ray as online video continues to grow in popularity. “[/i]

Is this the idiot reasoning Netflix uses to justify why they don’t carry enough Blu-ray discs to satisfy normal demand?

As for the movies they’ve choosen to stream thus far:  99.9% of them are either movies I’ve already seen on DVD, or movies that I’ve never considered renting in the first place.  So, YA – I’d be more inclined to stream them than order the DVD to be mailed.  In fact I’ve done that – then stopped 5 minutes into the movie when it turned out to be the suck-fest I thought it might.  Then I was glad I never wasted the time ordering the DVD.

I’m much less inclined to do that with a new-release DVD or a movie on DVD that I really liked and want to re-watch.  Let’s face it – even with a good high-speed connection – streaming leaves something to be desired…

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.