Standby Help Needed on Laptop – No Standby or Hibernate

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Standby Help Needed on Laptop – No Standby or Hibernate

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mike Garcen
    Participant

OK, so this isn’t my HTPC, but my main laptop i’ve had for a few years, and am about ready to pull my hair out….

So it USED to work just fine, standby, hibernate, everything….then at some point, and btw i’ve swapped hard drives in the past (recovered using WHS).

Now, nothing works in regards to STANDBY or HIBERNATE, i’ve tried either mode and pretty much the screen shuts off, it sounds like it’s going to try, but the power just does not go off.

I’ve tried all windows updates, i’ve tried uninstalling recent apps…not sure what else to try…any ideas?

Aaron Ledger

Are you saying that it worked before you swapped drives and performed a recovery and only stopped working after the swap? Or did it still work after the swap?

Mike Garcen

no, i had this issue in the past, but it was more sporadic. Then it worked a while, then it didn’t. It did work at some point with the new hard drive, i was just trying to give a history.

it’s a whitebook ASUS laptop, no newer bios available…

and yes, i know i SHOULD reinstall windows, but i just have everything setup on this so i really can’t.

Aaron Ledger

What happens when issuing “powercfg -requests” and “powercfg -a”. Also, check out the power-troubleshooter messages in your event log. Here’s more info on powercfg that may be helpful.

Mike Garcen

C:Windowssystem32>powercfg -requests
              DISPLAY:
              None.

SYSTEM:
              None.

AWAYMODE:
              None.

C:Windowssystem32>powercfg -a
              The following sleep states are available on this system: Standby ( S3 ) Hibernat
              e Hybrid Sleep
              The following sleep states are not available on this system:
              Standby (S1)
                      The system firmware does not support this standby state.
              Standby (S2)
                      The system firmware does not support this standby state.

C:Windowssystem32>

Aaron Ledger

How about the Event Log? Go to System log and filter by “Power-Troubleshooter”.

Mike Garcen

[quote=Aaron Ledger]

What happens when issuing “powercfg -requests” and “powercfg -a”. Also, check out the power-troubleshooter messages in your event log. Here’s more info on powercfg that may be helpful.

[/quote]

So i checked event viewer, looks like the last successful resume from sleep was 9/5 (12 days ago)

But i think it was unreliable even then…i could try a system restore i suppose? but any other ideas?

Aaron Ledger

You could check to make sure Away Mode is not active. In regedit, goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSession ManagerPower ancd make sure AwayModeEnabled is 0.

You could try deleting or setting the default power profiles back to default.

Mike Garcen

[quote=Aaron Ledger]

You could check to make sure Away Mode is not active. In regedit, goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSession ManagerPower ancd make sure AwayModeEnabled is 0.

You could try deleting or setting the default power profiles back to default.

[/quote]

that string doesn’t exist there. will try the profile idea as well. should i add the registry string?

Aaron Ledger

It wouldn’t hurt. I am not 100% positive, but I believe that as long as under Advanced Power Options Settings-> Multimedia Settings -> “When Sharing Media” is not set to go to Away Mode, then it will not take effect.

Mike Garcen

away mode definitely is not on.

just tried booting in diagnostic mode from msconfig and disabling everything starting up…still no dice. so i don’t think it’s any software.

i checked the BIOS and theres absolutely no standby options in there….

next?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.