SOLVED: Dumb, easy (I’m sure) WHS 2011 question

Home Forums Home Theater Computers SOLVED: Dumb, easy (I’m sure) WHS 2011 question

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone. I have an embarrassing question. I recently built a WHS 2011 Server and have loaded all of my photos, music, etc. I have downloaded the client software on each of my clients (one laptop running Win & and one laptop running XP). The server is attached via Ethernet to a wireless router and the clients connect to the server (dashboard) via wireless. I have set up each of the shared folders on the server.

However, I do not know how to get the shared folders from the server show up on the desktop of the clients. Do I need to set up a network? None of the computers are connected via a network. I promised my wife that once the server was built and installed she would be able to access the files from a folder on the laptops and I am starting to get in trouble! ha ha

Thanks again for the help that everyone on this site provides. I would be lost (clearly) without you!

John

Mike Garcen

this is where the original WHS was better. What you need is user accounts setup with permissions, or to login as the administrator on each site.

So go to one of your client computers, launch windows explorer and type \SERVERNAME

Then you should be prompted for your user/password if the one on that system doesn’t match one of the ones on the WHS2011

then you can map the network drive to save the hassle in the future

dbocce3

Mike, THank you for your quick replay and advice. I ended up opening the Launchpad, clicking shared folders, then right clicking each shared folder (music, pictures, etc..) and clicked ‘create shortcut’. It created a shortcut on the desktop and I think everything is working.

Should I map the drive instead? Will that speed up file transfers? (again, the clients are connected to the router wirelessly and the server is wired to the router). Are there any benefits to mapping the drive versus what I did? Lastly, if I map the drive, will it matter what drive letter I give it? Will the driver letter I give it change the driver letter on the server?

Thank you again for your help!

John

phoneguyinpgh

You shouldn’t need to create a shortcut on your desktop or map them as a network drive unless you are using some program that requires a drive path name, such as making a playlist in Winamp or making a remote back-up of a running data file.

If you need to do any work in those directories, just open the launch pad, and open the shared folders.  If your sign in credentials give you read/write access, you’re golden.  Just use them like any other directory.

Mike Garcen

no speed benefit at all. i only like mapping my server folders which i frequently access to save me some time.

but phoneguy is right, if you’re using it with apps (like mymovies) then it’s unnecessary

dbocce3

Mike and phoneguy,

I am not using it with any apps right now. It is simply easier for my wife to have those folders on the desktop of each laptop so that she can access those files quickly. This is why I am trying to get them to the desktop.

John

dbocce3

Thank you for your help everyone. I was able to map the drives (folders) from my WHS 2011 Server onto my laptop clients. 

You guys are always awesome!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.