Shutoff your HTPC when not in use!

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Shutoff your HTPC when not in use!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Van Til
    Keymaster

Probably a disrespectful driver.  Run powercfg /lastwake to figure out which one.

[quote=”htpc_user”]
      I tried to set up WOL on my server according to some instructions on here (I believe).  But every time that I would put it to sleep it would immediately wake back up.
      [/quote]

I have that problem on my gaming rig. If I put it to sleep it wakes right back up. I have to put it into hibernate. I’ll have to try that lastwake command babgvant posted.

This is usually due to a USB device waking the computer up.  If you’re on Windows 7, you can change each device’s setting so that it is not allowed to wake the computer.  The usual culprits are mice and keyboards which aren’t behaving nicely.  Obviously, this will cause issues if you actually DO want those devices to wake the computer.

The only thing I want to affect the state of the PC is the power button (sleep or wake) or the options in the start menu (log off, shut down, restart). I’ll have to try the sleep setting on my HTPC tonight and see if the 360 wakes it.

[quote=”Meester.Rip”]
      [quote=”htpc_user”]
      I tried to set up WOL on my server according to some instructions on here (I believe).  But every time that I would put it to sleep it would immediately wake back up.
      [/quote]

I have that problem on my gaming rig. If I put it to sleep it wakes right back up. I have to put it into hibernate. I’ll have to try that lastwake command babgvant posted.
      [/quote]
      I would rather have that problem over what I’m seeing with my development system.  I can suspend it but when I try to wake it up it starts the process then hangs.  I have to do a full reboot to get it to start up again properly.  Guess I’ll have to work on that…

[quote=”babgvant”]
      Probably a disrespectful driver.  Run powercfg /lastwake to figure out which one.
      [/quote]

On my son’s PC I did the powercfg/lastwake according to the instructions on here, but it didn’t tell me anything.  It didn’t say what woke it up like the guide showed.  The problem with his is it will go to sleep for hours, but will wake up on its own.  I was using an EVGA 775 motherboard.  I just figured it was “one of those things”.  The other month I bought a Gigabyte AM3 board and gave it to him.  That one does the same thing.  Last Saturday I set up the EVGA again for myself as an extra PC.  I tried out the sleep and and it stayed asleep through the night.  The difference between the setup now vs. when it was in his system is his had an 8800GS, ATI tuner, Microsoft IR receiver, and wireless keyboard/mouse.  His Gigabyte has all of those parts now.  It has to be one of those things.

My HTPC only has an “Auto” S3 setting.  When putting it to sleep it sounds like it does something, but the fans still spin.  When I bring it out of the sleep setting, apparently something happens with the tuner because it will not record.

mikinho
      Participant

It could also be a wake timer if it happens in the middle of the night.  You can disable it via the Advanced Power Options.

If you use or configure Media Center for instance it will wake to download the guide and to perform optional optimizations.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.