Sharing time :) Whole house Audio / video / etc distribution… cheap!

Home Forums Home Theater Construction Help Sharing time :) Whole house Audio / video / etc distribution… cheap!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Figured I would post this here and share something I did to give others some ideas and something to play with.

I have wanted to have some sort of whole house audio / video distribution system for quite some time. I like the idea of having monitors and speakers through the house wiht RF remotes to control everything… but running multiple VGA, Audio and etc wires in my house wasnt an option. The quality didnt need to be high… enough to whereI could see what I was doing.

But then I went further… how about a way to share video games, pictures and more through the whole house and have it displayed anywhere I want it to be displayed…..

With not many options I was cleaning out some stuff and found somehitng I completely forgot I had.

A RF modulator for a DVD player…..

So I decided I would take the s-video and audio out form my home file server (since thats all it is used for) and run it in to the RF modulator. The RF modulator also has an antenna input in it sooooo…. I took my house antenna (antenna goes to whole house, some rooms have direct lines to dish) and ran it in to this device then took the output and put it in to my RF amplifier, which then runs out to my splitter block that is setup to share out through the whole house. So I get everything I need from my antenna for all my locals and on channel 4 is my PC.

At that point I can control the PC form anywhere inthe house using a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

I have a couple remote wonders I am working to add to the system but add a higher gain antenna to the receiver.

I have a coupel of RF gamepads that again I am workign on putting a higher gain antenna on the receivers.

So I plan to use Media Center or GameEX for media sharing, audio, pictures, movies and more… including games 🙂 GameEX is more so for games but has a lot of the other funtions built in to it.

What I am thinking is that GameEX might be better possibly because of the games part.

Anyway… just wanted to share what I did with everyone so it might give some some ideas. Yes video quality isnt perfect, but when viewing movies it looks better than cable so far lol. Older games dont need that much quality so that wasnt a concern.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.