Review: Vidabox vCase3 – Slimline HTPC Case

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Review: Vidabox vCase3 – Slimline HTPC Case

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

[url=http://www.missingremote.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5105&Itemid=236]Original Article Link[/url]

Looking forward to the rest of the build/review of this case… I purchased one of these cases and built a core i3-based/ceton media center machine.

It is interesting they changed the top of the case since I purchased, removing the top ventilation from the front section of the top.  Here is a link to a photo I took of my assembled system: http://cid-e9cc6427eb3090ad.photos.live.com/self.aspx/HTPC%20Build%5EJ%20Spring%202010/P1000833.jpg

As you can see… different top.

Yes, they’ve made a couple small changes in each version as they have iterated on the case.

This fall revision that just started shipping has the following improvements:

1) Removed grill section from front half of top of case – this improves airflow. With the case fan on the side front, you’d end up with in intaking air that would then just push right back out the top. Now the air should flow across the drives through the case and out the rear top vents.

2) Top cover is 20% thicker – increased rigidity and reduced vibration.

3) Additional screw hole for hard mounting the optical drive – targeted at system builders who ship PCs to their customers.

What do people do about IR receivers with a case like this? Personally, I would rather trade the integrated card reader for integrated IR.

[quote=”bbig119″]
    What do people do about IR receivers with a case like this? Personally, I would rather trade the integrated card reader for integrated IR.
    [/quote]

I’m with you there on the integrated IR vs. card reader.  But I haven’t played with the card reader to see how well Media Center deals with card insertions.  Would be neat if it automatically went into Pictures with the inserted card…  But yeah… I’d rather have an integrated IR.

I use a USB Media Center compatible IR receiver that I ordered from Amazon.com.  It came with a remote that I will never use.  In a way, a USB dongle IR receiver is both a blessing and a curse.  A curse because it is “something extra” and a blessing that you can relocate it to somewhere closer to the TV quite easily (which is where we tend to point our remotes).

// Dean

Yes, this was  thought I had that I mention in the Cons. I thought a shelf w/ window for IR would be nice above the card reader.

But…I’m also in the camp that sees the value of using some sticky tape to attach your IR receiver to the bottom of your tv. Included IR I dislike – because they almost never include a standard IR receiver (in my mind there are only two – USB-Uirt and MCE Receiver – anything else is useless). Even building in a shelf with an IR glass window is not necessarily a feature that every one will use.

[quote=”Naylia”]
    Yes, this was  thought I had that I mention in the Cons. I thought a shelf w/ window for IR would be nice above the card reader.

But…I’m also in the camp that sees the value of using some sticky tape to attach your IR receiver to the bottom of your tv. Included IR I dislike – because they almost never include a standard IR receiver (in my mind there are only two – USB-Uirt and MCE Receiver – anything else is useless). Even building in a shelf with an IR glass window is not necessarily a feature that every one will use.
    [/quote]

I’ve gotten by for five years on the IRTrans module that is in my origen X11 case. Sometimes I wish I had a USB-Uirt, but I’ve never really needed it either. But I also currently have an issue where my coffee table is in the line of site for my remote-HTPC which is annoying, so I wouldn’t mind having a tape-job ir receiver right now.

IRTrans is another fairly well supported model. My first was a built-in iMon and that was pretty useless because it only worked with their software.

[quote=”bbig119″]

I’ve gotten by for five years on the IRTrans module that is in my origen X11 case. Sometimes I wish I had a USB-Uirt, but I’ve never really needed it either. But I also currently have an issue where my coffee table is in the line of site for my remote-HTPC which is annoying, so I wouldn’t mind having a tape-job ir receiver right now.

[/quote]

I have the X11 with VFD and IR – how did you get the IR to work? what software are you using? and do you use it with Media Center or SageTV?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.