Replaced router disables extenders

Home Forums Windows Media Center Replaced router disables extenders

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Recently my Linksys WRT610N died.  I replaced it with my old WRT54G.  I tried everything to get the extenders reconnected, but it would not work.  The next day out of frustration I thought I might run the Linksys DMA2100 extender install disk.  Other than providing information on the extender the only function thing it did was “Get Vista Updates”.   Did not make any sense, but I tried it anyway.  Viola! it worked.  The extenders were able to connect after that.

Now, what would these updates do that were needed for the WRT54G and not needed on the WRT610N?

Aaron Ledger

Are your extenders hard-wired or wirelessly-connected?

SJMaye

The extenders were wired (not wireless) with both routers.  After the fact I thought they may have changed the newer routers to allow the extender communications through. 

Aaron Ledger

Just a guess, but perhaps the old router doesn’t support UPnP properly.

a3gill

I’ve set extenders up no problem behind enterprise routers completely blocking UPnP. Clearly the correct ports were allowed and routed properly.

Anytime something doesn’t work Windows Updates are a good place to start. You shouldn’t let them get behind. Install them quarterly (after researching them, if needed) at least . They put them out there for a reason…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.