record to a network drive

Home Forums Home Theater Construction Help record to a network drive

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

So I finally got my htpc rig up and running. I am surprised to find out that I can’t record from WMC to my NAS without add ons, it appears. I saw Recorded TV Manager, which will record on my SSD, then move each show to my NAS. As SSD’s seem to have a limited # of writes, this seems like it’s not the best solution. Is there an easier way? Can I select my NAS from within WMC as the default location for TV recordings?

mikinho

You can edit the below registry settings but I don’t recommend it.  The Stream Buffer Engine v2 used by Media Center does not take network latency or packet loss into consideration as it is optimized for a high IO stream.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionMedia CenterServiceRecording]

RecordPath

After changing the value restart or run the UpdateRecordPath scheduled task that sets the proper permissions on the folder.

Depending on your NAS (if it supports Home Group) you’ll also need to change the ehRecvr and ehSched services to use a specific user account and grant rights to it.

But I would, if possible, just buy a cheap temporary recording drive for your HTPC.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.