RAID5 in Linux, how?

Home Forums Home Theater Computers RAID5 in Linux, how?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Ok, I’ve got FC5 up and running but did not have the sata controllers enabled in the bios when I did the initial install (yeah stupid I know now).  So now I’m trying to get my RAID5 setup now that I have my 4x400gig drives installed.  I turned on the sata controllers in the BIOS and set it up as RAID5.  This is an nvidia nforce430 chipset.

When I boot into linux it times out during hardware detection.  When I finally get into linux, I can see for sata drives under /dev (sd[abcd]).  So I think the sata controller is being used properly.  Now my problem is when I try to setup an array.  If I run[code]dmraid -l[/code] it says that the nvidia raid controller supports RAID0, 1, 10 and contatination (I assume this is JBOD).  I’m using dmraid-1.0.0.rc9.  I believe that RAID5 support was added in rc11 if I read the release notes properly.  So I need to find where I can get a more recent version from.

Ok, now onto more of my problem.  When I run [code]dmraid -r[/code] it sees 2 of the 4 drives with an “unknown” RAID type (RAID5).  The other two drives do not appear to be properly recognized (I’ll try to post the output when I get home again)…  Is this a problem with my mobo, dmraid, the fact that I didn’t do all this during the initial install?

I just want to get RAID5 working.  I don’t really care how it’s done.  At this point I’m considering just starting over with FC6.  I’ve seen a more recent version of dmraid for FC6 (rc13 I believe).

[b]Is there another way to get this working (RAID5) without reformatting the whole thing?[/b]

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.