Questions from an MCE n00b

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Questions from an MCE n00b

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    jennyfur
    Participant

OK, so after much deliberation I think I’ve decided on the next step for my home entertainment system. To preface this, I’m a gamer (PC almost exclusively, but ok with some console titles). I’m looking to upgrade to a newer faster machine after Vista is out, mainly because I’m overdue for an upgrade anyway and my current machine is not as gaming-worthy as I’d like. I figure since Vista will have MCE capabilities included anyway, that perhaps it’s time to ditch my separate HTPC and just use my gaming rig plus an extender (Xbox 360) to do the job. Overall it’s a cheaper and easier solution. [i]However[/i], I don’t really know jack about MCE since I haven’t used any past versions. I’m not used to limitations. I’ve used SageTV, Meedio/Yahoo Go! TV, and recently BeyondTV thanks to a certain Missing Remote contest.  ;D

So, what I’m getting at here is that I’d like to know what to expect. What functions may not be possible. I’ve been reading up on a lot of things, but I’ve yet to actually see a comprehensive list of MCE features. I’m also compiling a list of plugins that may help to add the features I’d otherwise be missing. Also of note, please keep in mind that I’m extremely interested in CableCard functionality and that will play heavily into this whole plan.

On with the questions. Here are some features I’m curious if MCE can do, be it out of the box or through a plugin. If it’s a plugin, please state which one. AND IF IT CAN RUN ON AN EXTENDER.
      [list]
      [*]Placeshifting. It appears WebGuide 4 can handle this, though not with live TV. Is there anything else that can do it? Or someway to integrate Orb seamlessly?
      [*]Skipping commercials. Can this be done? If so, how does this work?
      [*]DVD burning. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it stated that you can burn recorded stuff to DVD. Does it put a nice menu on it? Is there anything in particular I should be aware of with this?
      [*]DVD ripping. I see on the My Movies 2 page that there is issues with extenders, but I thought a recent xbox live update made it so more formats could be played. Any more info on that, or alternatives to My Movies 2? [/list:u]

Thanks for the help!

[i]Note: I’ve cross posted this on the [url=http://www.htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25139&hl=]HTPC News forums[/url][/i]

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.