PS3 as Media Center Extender

Home Forums Home Theater Construction Help PS3 as Media Center Extender

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hello, I am brand new to the home theater PC.  I refuse to pay a monthly fee to my cable provider for the right to record stuff on my on TV.  So I was excited to read about the Ceton PC card which allows recording of 4 HD signals at a time.  I would like to get one for my PC upstairs to use as a DVR.  I would then like to watch the shows downstairs.  Currently I have a PS3 which I thought could be used as a MCE but every guide I have read only mentions the Xbox.  Why is it that the PS3 can’t be used?  Also, on occasion I like to keep shows indefinitely (for my own personal use), mostly soccer games.  So is there a way to burn recorded shows from the PC to a CD/DVD?

Thank you for your help

MntlDfct

Mike Garcen

The reason you see mentions of XBox 360 is because it has built-in the ability to be a Windows Media Center Extender. The PS3 is NOT an extender, so you won’t be able to do this.

However, there are several PS3 applications that will allow you to access video files, if you want to go through the effort of recording shows and then converting them to PS3-compatible filetypes.

Crim

After having to use my PS3 for a couple months after my HTPC’s mobo died I have to say it sucks as an HTPC replacement if you have a moderately large media collection.

600+ DVDs and over 19 TV series on my server and it’s kind of a pain to browse all that on the very simple interface of the PS3. Clearly it was meant to be used with a small selection of media, like from something like a thumb drive/portable HDD.

If you really need to use it google a program called PS3 Media Server. Very nice app for this; make sure your server system is decent enough since it will have to transcode everything to stream it to the PS3.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.