Playing mp4 files on WHS through MC7 to extender has occasional lag

Home Forums Windows Media Center Playing mp4 files on WHS through MC7 to extender has occasional lag

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    PAPutzback
    Spectator

I ripped a couple movies to mp4 with handbrake to my WHS using some 360 settings i found online. Now the file plays fine on the WMC but when I play them on the 360 they will be jerky, sometimes it will play flawless for 30 minutes and then it make get so jerky that is just freezes and every minute or two it will play a few seconds of video at a really high rate before freezing again. I don’t know if this is a network issue on the WM7 to extender, a streaming buffer issue or processor issue.

Can someone explain to me what exactly is happening between wm7 and the extender? Am I linked to the file directly and the XBOX is decoding it or is the XBOX just a window of WM7 and that PC is decoding the file?

Aaron Ledger

The extender is performing the decoding. The XBOX has bitrate limitations with some video codecs. Can you give specifics on the codecs in your file? You could use MediaInfo to find out.

PAPutzback

If the encoding is done locally than I assume my problem lies elsewhere since the problem is random, yet on every file. The other day I fired up a mkv file and it buffered and was laggin. I waited a few minutes and then it played fine until around 45 minutes where it lagged so bad I had to quit. So my guess is a network issue or the way the XBOX buffers the file. I figured if I paused it the buffer would fill up like a youtube video. But it does not appear to be the case. I should probably throw my intel nic back in the WMC box.

Aaron Ledger

Is flow control enabled on each NIC (WHS and WMC)? If you have a Gigabit NIC, flow control is especially important for the transition to FastEthernet.

NIC is one potential problem point and there are many problem NICs, unfortunately (e.g. Realtek). The switch is another potential problem point (converting between Gigabit and FastEthernet at the switch requires enough memory in switch to account for the potential burst of Gigabit traffic it may receive and have to send out at slower FastEthernet rate).

Forcing your NIC to FastEthernet speed instead of Gigabit could help. Reducing other traffic on the switch could help.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.