Pay TV LOSES Customers For The First Time Ever

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Pay TV LOSES Customers For The First Time Ever

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Original Article Link

I think for many it’s a time of re-evaluation and the statement in the quote is probably pretty on the mark. People will cut back for a while because the economy is rough, but then it’ll be interesting to see if cable provides a compelling argument for people to upgrade to more expensive packages when things are better. Or will people consume more through other venues, alter their habits, and not revert to more expensive cable packages.

LowTech
    Participant

I would have thought that pay TV subscriptions would have stayed fairly stable since it seems like many folks who’ve been impacted by the economy would give up stuff like the movies, going out to dinner or shopping just to shop, etc and stay home more.  Thus the justification for keeping cable/satellite service. 

That’s alright the satellite and cable providers will just raise their rates to make up for the losses.

captain_video
      Participant

All I know is come this Wednesday Verizon is going to lose about $50 per month from me.  That’s when I get my CableCARD installed for my Ceton tuner.  I’ll end up dropping three CableCARDS, two standard def STBs and one HD STB.  I will also be dropping HBO after discovering it had gone up to a whopping $22.99 per month.  Some people can get basic cable for less than that!

I like the few shows I record off HBO but I never watch any of their movies since I have a NetFlix subscription (also for less money).  There isn’t anything on HBO I can’t download for free or get through NetFlix.  With so many online choices these days it’s a wonder TV providers can stay afloat with what they charge.  I think I get well over 300 channels with my subscription, but I doubt I watch more than a dozen of them.  Rather than lump so many useless channels together in a single package I’d rather see the providers offer more meaningful groupings of channels that I’d actually watch.  I think people are simply fed up with paying so much for a product they don’t use that often.

whoa whoa whoa…  “Especially if Apple’s forthcoming iTV gadget is any good”

iTV is going to be our savior!!!  LOL

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.