noob bluray question

Home Forums Beginner General Questions noob bluray question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Im an old fuddy-duddy, havent jumped on the bluray bandwagon yet. Im thinking about it though. For a long time Ive been ripping dvd’s to disk using dvdfab. This burns up about 4-8 gigs of disk space on a 2tb disk so I can get quite a few movies on my hd. Whats kept me away from bluray is I just cant stomach using up 40 gigs of space for one movie! So my question is, can I rip a bluray, (movie only) and get a more tolerable size? say around 10 gigs or less for movie only and still have decent quality? What software would you guys recommend for this? Could I rip to an mkv or mpg? (I hear bd folder rips dont work well in MediaBrowser)

Thanks for any tips

Mike Garcen

no, even the smallest blu-rays i’ve seen are still in the 20gb range, even if you remove any extras. Of course the size varies, but you have to remember that without any compression, a large portion of that video space is used for audio as well.

If size is an issue, a lot of people have had success compressing their ripped blu-rays into a much more manageable MKV/H.264 file format. Of course understand ANY compression you do you reduce the original quality, so the question is…are you willing to sacrifice quality for storage? Especially given how inexpensive storage is?

skirge01

Of my 20 or so rips, they’re averaging about 16GB in size, with some around 10GB and others close to 30GB.  All of my rips are in MKV format with just the movie, subtitles, and the HD audio (no core–aka non-HD–audio) track.  The tool I use for this is Another EAC3to GUI Plus and, while it’s the easiest I’ve found, making MKVs is still somewhat difficult for Blu-rays.  However, this is the best way I’ve found to make the smallest files.

In my opinion, the EASIEST method for ripping Blu-rays is to use the BDMV folder structure, though.  I’m pretty sure that leaves everything in it, though, resulting in the largest amount of storage.

PAPutzback

I use ISO myself because to avoid any isses with TMT or making a mistake in converting or removing content. You can get 2tb at newegg for 89 today. It seems like it was just a few years ago I paid a couple hundered for 400gig 🙁

perry59

Thanks all. That confirms my suspicions. BD’s are simply going to be huge. Theoretically a 2Tb disk could hold 500 dvd’s (at 4gig apiece) and only 100 BD’s (at 20gig apiece). Thats quite a disparity. I guess I could have some BD’s for very cool movies (avatar, etc). So whats the fav software for ripping BD? can it make a file that plays nicely with mediabrowser?

thanks

Mike Garcen

not much is easier to use than AnyDVD HD. THere is another one i can’t recall the name that I believe is free, but i’ve never used it.

Btw…i didn’t state this before, but even if you compress a Blu-ray file a bit, it’ll still be higher quality than if it was a straight 100% DVD rip. Just more work will be involved.

oliverredfox

You can keep using dvdfab. http://www.dvdfab.com/hd-decrypter.htm is free and does a good job of ripping. I tend to rip discs and leave them as-is, but a friend uses hand-brake to re-encode his (after using dvdfab to rip). He typically goes down to 720p quality to save hard drive space while still maintaining good video quality.

ntwp13

I purchased AnyDVD-HD, and can do a straight rip to folder no problem. I don’t want any compression, but would like to strip out extras and foreign languages. What is a good tool (like DVD Shrink) for this?

wordgasm

BD Clown at Slysoft forums (free)

PAPutzback

[quote=wordgasm]

BD Clown at Slysoft forums (free)

[/quote]

I tried BD clown and it was hit or miss whether I could get the correct audio track or a number of other issues, although it has been about a year since I tried. Do you have a link to the software and tutorial?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.