No Netflix or Internet TV in 7MC strip

Home Forums Home Theater Computers No Netflix or Internet TV in 7MC strip

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jennyfur
    Participant

So I’m sitting around waiting for the cable guy to come see why my new cablecard is giving me “subscription required” messages on all my cable channels, and I noticed something else. There’s no Netflix or Internet TV options on whatever strip it is they usually show up on (TV? Movies? I never use my PC to watch TV so I don’t remember where they’re supposed to be, and am really not all that concerned if they don’t show up since I’ve got two extenders I use to watch Netflix). It’s more just a matter of me being annoyed that everything isn’t working as it should.

This is a fresh install of Win7, so it isn’t due to any custom menu software. I assumed it might have been part of a windows update, but it says I’ve done all those already. 

Any ideas?

mikinho

Go to Media Center > Settings > General > Automatic Download Options > Download Now.  When complete you’ll need to restart Media Center

jennyfur

[quote=mikinho]

Go to Media Center > Settings > General > Automatic Download Options > Download Now.  When complete you’ll need to restart Media Center

[/quote]

Way past that point. That was the first thing I did when it didn’t show up. Tried it 3 times and even rebooted each time just in case. And since it’s been a couple days now, it’s done its regularly scheduled daily update as well. No dice.

mikinho

What DNS servers are you using?  If you are using OpenDNS…don’t or temporarily use local ISP DNS servers.

jennyfur

[quote=mikinho]

What DNS servers are you using?  If you are using OpenDNS…don’t or temporarily use local ISP DNS servers.

[/quote]

LOL I had to google OpenDNS to even find out what it was… so no, not using it.

Though likely unrelated, I am using AVG as my antivirus however, and had even tried shutting it off completely for the last of those 3 7MC download attempts.

SikSlayer

I hadn’t seen a fresh Windows 7 install for a while until recently, and when I launched Media Center on it, I too was surprised not to see them………then I remembered, they aren’t there at first, they automatically show up later. At least, the placeholder installers do.

But, hearing how you’ve forced updates and all that and it still doesn’t work……very odd indeed. Open DNS shouldn’t have been an issue even if you used it. I’ve had it set I my router, AND in my IP settings (for the rare instances I took my HTPC elsewhere) long before Windows 7 was even beta, and it wasn’t an issue. Its very odd that they didn’t show up.

Does anyone have the standalone installers? I had one for the Vista version of Netflix.

PS: Dump AVG, just use Microsoft Security Essentials.

jennyfur

[quote=SikSlayer]PS: Dump AVG, just use Microsoft Security Essentials.[/quote]

Too bad I’m paid through another 2 years. Seems like a waste to dump it, wish I’d known the MS one was free back when I bought it.

I’m at a loss at this point regarding what to do with media center not updating those tiles. Is there a log file anywhere that I may be able to figure out what’s failing? Cuz there’s gotta be something keeping it from downloading.

jennyfur

Welp, after much digging around I finally found the answer that worked for me. Posting the link in case anyone else runs into this problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977116

As a last resort that I thankfully didn’t have to do, I also saw a few sites that suggested removing WMC then adding it back. To do so, go to control panel > programs and features > turn windows features on or off. WMC is under “Media Features”, uncheck the box. Think you have to reboot afterwards. Then repeat the process to turn it back on. Hopefully the above link will do the job though so this won’t be necessary for anybody.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.