Niveus Media Discontinues Consumer High End Media Center PC Systems

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Niveus Media Discontinues Consumer High End Media Center PC Systems

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Van Til
    Keymaster

[url=http://www.missingremote.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5159&Itemid=1]Original Article Link[/url]

Wow.  End of an era.

mikinho
      Participant

Damn, there goes that “dream” of having a Niveus.  Not that I could afford but thats what made it a dream.

Andrew Van Til
        Keymaster

That probably explains the decision.  Everyone wants one, but no one could afford it 🙂

In this economy, it’s not that surprising.

with unlimited funding, I could build something just as good. 😛

[quote=”perry59″]
          with unlimited funding, I could build something just as good. 😛
          [/quote]
          … With $600 I could build something similar. They’re like the Apple of the HTPC world, highly overpriced for the hardware but the software is where you get your money’s worth.

I hope they decide to open their software and sell it, I loved a lot of it but they were always tied to their super expensive systems.

mikinho
          Participant

I agree that you and just about any enthusiast can build the internal hardware but the chassis isn’t cheap to manufacturer.  To create a [i]single[/i] (i.e. not in bulk) high quality faceplate for a rack mountable chassis would easily cost $600 alone.

[quote=”Mikinho”]
            I agree that you and just about any enthusiast can build the internal hardware but the chassis isn’t cheap to manufacturer.  To create a [i]single[/i] (i.e. not in bulk) high quality faceplate for a rack mountable chassis would easily cost $600 alone.
            [/quote]Wow. I didn’t realise that when I bought that $1200 Niveus HTPC that what I was really buying and investing in was the $600 HTPC case.

Seriously. I don’t care and I highly doubt anyone else really cares about a pretty $600 case when they’re just putting it in a closet/basement/out of sight. I’ve seen people drop serious money, I mean [i][b]serious money[/i][/b] on a home theater. They’re the kind of people that Niveus [i][b]was[/i][/b] targetting. All those people built some really nice HTPCs (or just straight up bought and retrofitted a good Dell or something) because that pretty, [i][b]expensive[/i][/b] case isn’t what they were trying to get out of their HTPC. It just wasn’t worth it.

Hell, I wasn’t even interested in their products until they started working on their really cool software. The first that caught my attention was the one that let you control your HTPC using a laptop!! But that only worked on “Niveus made systems” even though it was more like a companion app to Media Center.

And that’s kind of my point; instead of focusing on all the things that they should have been they focused on the extravagant and made that they’re niche. “Bang for you buck” means a lot more then just shopping at Newegg and throwing it all together. I think, ultimately, that’s a major issue that a lot of Media Center builders haven’t realised fully.

It is going to be hard to make software IMO when the media center interface gives me everything I need from an HTPC, watch and record tv and access Netflix. As far as a remote goes the free android app GMote allows me to control the mouse and type. I am sure those types of apps will improve and won’t have the high price tag that the vendors will ask for their implementation.

Anonymous

PC Alchemy was an end of an era…Niveus? Meh. My Zalman HD135 looks just as good, to me. I also have the same, if not more, functionality.

P

Anyone want to buy my now collectible Niveus RF remote control?  I’m thinking…..$1,000,000!

jennyfur
              Participant

[quote=”Blue”]
                Anyone want to buy my now collectible Niveus RF remote control?  I’m thinking…..$1,000,000!
                [/quote]
                Haha I’ve still got mine too!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.