New NVidia 301.42 drivers (updated)

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground New NVidia 301.42 drivers (updated)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Just to save you the time of testing, the latest Nvidia 301.42 drivers DO NOT fix the 29/59 pipeline reset bug (UPDATE: see comment #4 below).   Interestingly, I never saw this until I switched from a 32 to a 64 bit OS.   I went back to the 275.33 driver and everything worked again.   I’m a little concerned TMT will start requiring the latest drivers.

Have all the 23Hz refresh rate issues been fixed in the Intel video drivers yet?   It might be time to retire the GT430….

Chasseur

My system is Win64 with a GT430. I’m also using TMT. Do you consider 275.33 the only stable driver?

Do you use 24hz switching for bluray playback?

mpatnode

Well, the honest truth is I mostly use my LG-BD690 for playing BDs since I’ve had so many headaches with TMT.   But when I’m up to the challenge, I do put the card in 23Hz mode (which should actually be 23.967 or some such) for BD.   I don’t believe the TMT autoswitch feature works when you launch it from WMC.

I recently upgraded my motherboard to a Gigabyte Z77 and TMT has been pretty well behaved, but that was with the 290 drivers.   Haven’t done any testing with the 275.33.

Stability isn’t a problem with the newer drivers, just that one specific bug with refresh rate switching…

I haven’t tried this which claims to fix the problem with the latest driver.   Has this worked for anyone else?

mpatnode

So I verified that Ian’s fix for the 59/29 refresh rate pipeline bug does indeed work with the 301.42 drivers, which you would expect given his background.    Here’s the registery entry in a file format if that’s easier for you to deal with.  This one is for 0-255:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREDebugehPresenter.dll] "NominalRange"=dword:00000001 

Change the 1 to a 2 if you prefer 16-235

Aaron Ledger

You should also be able to achieve a similar result by disabling dynamic contrast in the NVIDIA control panel. In fact, all three GPU vendors have a similar feature and will benefit by disabling the feature. Of course, if you are a fan of the feature, you can adjust the nominal range in WMC to help fix the flashing/strobing that occurs when the video is switching telecine modes (aka 29/59 switch).

To answer your question on Intel’s refresh rate precision. Both SNB and IVB platforms achieve something like 23.973 (23.976 is the target) which is about as good or better than NVIDIA cards I have tested with OOTB driver settings. I have read reports of Clarkdale also being addressed.

mpatnode

[quote=Aaron Ledger]

You should also be able to achieve a similar result by disabling dynamic contrast in the NVIDIA control panel.

[/quote]

That was the first thing I tried, but unfortunately that didn’t work for me, or a number of other folks on the Nvidia forums.   In the past when I’ve seen the dynamic contrast problem, it’s like a black frame was inserted in the stream.  This problem was more of a white flicker. 

But the above registry change did the trick.   Thanks for the Intel info.   I’m waiting for the i7-3770T to be generally available and then I’ll probably pull the NVIDIA card out.

NitDawg

[quote=mpatnode]

[quote=Aaron Ledger]

You should also be able to achieve a similar result by disabling dynamic contrast in the NVIDIA control panel.

[/quote]

That was the first thing I tried, but unfortunately that didn’t work for me, or a number of other folks on the Nvidia forums.   In the past when I’ve seen the dynamic contrast problem, it’s like a black frame was inserted in the stream.  This problem was more of a white flicker. 

But the above registry change did the trick.   Thanks for the Intel info.   I’m waiting for the i7-3770T to be generally available and then I’ll probably pull the NVIDIA card out.

[/quote]Same thing for me (IGP 9300), my only workaround was the added registry entry, now works just fine. Anything >296.10 had that problem for me persistent through the latest 301.42. 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.