New HTPC Build… New BSOD Problems…

Home Forums Beginner General Questions New HTPC Build… New BSOD Problems…

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    RehabMan

You might have a bad CPU.  I just upgraded my main HTPC to an i3-2100t and the first chip I received was bad.  One thing strange was that the CPU worked for the first install, then a couple of days later failed to boot.  I thought maybe corruption issue or driver issue, so attempted to re-install then discovered that Windows install media wouldn’t boot.  Of course, I had to rebuild the system several times, using different motherboard, different power supply, different RAM, etc, before it boiled down to a bad chip.

Taylordown

I really appreciate all the coments.  Just dug out my multimeter and checked the connecteions, they were all right in line with the specs.  I kind of doubt its a bad cpu as it only seems to fail when im doing something with a higher load on the gpu (usually).  I just switched channels for the memory too, hoping that will make a difference. As far as the GPU overheating, i have 2x 120mm and 2x, 80mm fans so i really cant see that being a problem since the h67 chipset was built to be run without a cooler. anyone got any other ideas??

By the way, just got the logitech dinovio mini.  awesome…

skirge01

I know there have been a number of suggestions here, so things may have slipped by.  Did you try rolling back the graphics drivers, as was pointed out here?  If that doesn’t do it, I would strongly suggest trying another PSU, even though the readings came back ok.

captain_video

Have you installed Win 7 Service Pack 1?  I had all sorts of BSOD issues before I updated to SP1.  Now my system is considerably more stable with no BSODs.

Mike Garcen

best way to test the CPU (and PSU really) is to run a burn-in test. I forget which ones are out there since it’s been a while since i’ve been an OEM, but that will peak out your system for hardware stability.

i believe he said he reinstalled windows clean as well. When you reinstalled, you should not install any drivers until you have a chance to do some testing.

oliverredfox

Prime95 is good for stress testing.  You run it off ‘Ultimate Boot CD for Windows’ to eliminate your Windows 7 build as being a test variable.

Taylordown

So after doing some digging in the Intel forums it seems that this problem is rampant with people using the H67 chipset’s integrated GPU.  Intel is trying to come up with a driver that works but seems to have yet to be able to.  Looks like i might bite the bullet and buy a graphics card for a computer designed not to need one.  So word to the wise for anyone thinking about the H67, not ready for use without a graphics card apparently.

Thanks agian for the help, definetly learned alot.  Ill let you all know if a graphics card solves the problem.

RehabMan

I see you’ve got all that memory there (8GB), and it would seem a shame to waste over half of it, but you could go 32-bit temporarily until Intel fixes the 64-bit side of things.  From what I can tell so far, 32-bit doesn’t have the issue… at least not with my Intel motherboard based core i3-2100T and pentium G620T systems.

mikinho

* Knock on wood *

Only a single of my DH67 or DH61 boards were affected and rolling back to an older Intel HD Graphics driver resolved it for me.

ajira99

Thanks for all the information in this thread. I built my new HTPC based on the DH67CF and i5-2400s combo. Everything was working flawlessly for nearly a month, even the CIR module. I was gearing up for recording all the E3 coverage when I somehow messed up permissions for the workgroup I was sharing and locked out the Media Center service. I had to reinstall and used the latest Intel drivers (after deleting the old ones). Then I started running into BSOD’s, corrupted guide listings, the CIR wouldn’t work — it’s a nightmare! I just installed the 8.10.15.2219 drivers that came with the board — hopefully this will work. If not, I guess I can do another reinstall using 32-bit drivers. I about ready to drop this nonsense and go back to an H55 micro-ATX board (or jump to AMD).

Taylordown

Hey thanks again for all the comments, I believe I have solved the problems. it was a combination bad intel graphics driver ( intel’s fault) and some faulty memory. Some cannibalized memory and a graphics card seem to have soled the problem.

Pretty disappointed that intel would release the integrated gpu knowing it can’t support hdmi on x64, kinda defeats the purpose of a media chipset

mikinho

[quote=Taylordown]Pretty disappointed that intel would release the integrated gpu knowing it can’t support hdmi on x64, kinda defeats the purpose of a media chipset[/quote]

Driver conflicts happen, it definitely isn’t across the board either.  I have anywhere from 4-6 Sandy Bridge systems running, all x64.  I had the BSoD issue on 1 system and reverting back one driver revision fixed it.  That was my only non-Intel board, an ASUS that had it.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.