New DMCA Exemptions: Ripping DVDs for Online Video Now Legal

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground New DMCA Exemptions: Ripping DVDs for Online Video Now Legal

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Original Article Link

Not quite legal backups….this is only ripping for the use of incorporating short clips in some other form of art. So now you can take the Matrix Lobby scene, sing Backstreet Boys over it while your cat dances in the corner and post it on YouTube.

[quote](1) Motion pictures on DVDs that are lawfully made and acquired and that are protected by the Content Scrambling System [b]when circumvention is accomplished solely in order to accomplish the incorporation of short portions of motion pictures into new works for the purpose of criticism or comment[/b], and where the person engaging in circumvention believes and has reasonable grounds for believing that circumvention is necessary to fulfill the purpose of the use in the following instances:

(i)  Educational uses by college and university professors and by college and university film and media studies students;
        (ii) Documentary filmmaking;
        (iii) Noncommercial videos.[/quote]

Mike Garcen
    Participant

yeah, i read more closely into everything after posting. guess i got a bit ahead of myself. What surprised me most…jailbreaking your iphone is legal! that’s pretty sweet and unexpected.

A shame the one about converting a movie into another format to be able to travel with on other devices wasn’t….which is just dumb

Definitely not what we want or should be allowed to do, but I agree with other reactions I’ve read in that this is definitely a good sign.  Hopefully this is the first step in the undoing of the DMCA.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.