New Acer Revo vs. Home built PC

Home Forums Home Theater Computers New Acer Revo vs. Home built PC

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I’m looking to get a HTPC when I come back for around 550 bucks.  I have been looking around and I came across the new ACER Revo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103368.  I’ve got to say this thing looks like it can do what I need which is basicly just to stream online video, stream from my server, and play a Blue Ray every now and then.  All for just about 15 dollars more than what my current build would be.  Would this be something good to pick up?

Mike Garcen

Nothing wrong with the Revo. In fact, we’re in teh process of working on getting a review unit soon.

That being said, you make a few compromises when you go with such a SFF system, such as upgrades and expandability. As long as you’re fine with that, they’re an easy way to get up and running fast. Although not as fun as DIY 😉

AFguy

I look forward to the review!  I was thinking about the ability to upgrade but honestly this is such a slick looking system and great for the money.  If your review confirms that it can playback HD video via internet and local stream then I’ll be seriously thinking about this. 

Techbutton

The Acer looks like a really slick system… For running it as a HTPC that you are looking for it would work just fine..

mpatnode

Did you include the cost of W7 and Blu-Ray playback software in your build?    I assume Acer is shipping an OEM version of PDVD or TMT, but it will at least do the job.   I’m eyeing the same system to replace my Dad’s ReplayTV.    The (not-yet-shipping) Hauppauge USB CableCARD tuner would complete this system nicely, but even one or two ATI tuners off of Ebay would do the job for cheap.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.