Netflix Jitter

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Netflix Jitter

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I know this issue has been talked about a lot around the net, but I was just curious if anyone has “defeated” this issue here.  Since switching to a 6570 I’ve noticed a lot of jitter while watching Netflix.  I don’t remember seeing it this bad with my 2600xt.  It figures; I fix the problem of not being able to view 3D by changing the card and create a problem of viewing Netflix.  It gives me a headache watching the jitter.  I’ve tried different settings, automatic deinterlacing vs. manually setting, turning pulldown detection on and off, turning enforce smooth playback on and off.  Sometimes I think one setting or the other might be a little better but I think it’s just my imagination.  The only thing I haven’t done is updated the Catalyst drivers or trying an older driver.  I don’t want to mess with the drivers too much as that usually causes me more problems.

The other thing that I noticed, and I had this problem a few times with the 2600xt, is that the manual deinterlacing setting does not stick after a restart.  I set it to vector adaptive and then if I have to restart for some reason it it back to Automatic.  Is this a problem with the specific driver/Catalyst version?

Aaron Ledger

Have you tried the Silverlight 5 RC? That is the only fix I have found to make Netflix somewhat tolerable on the PC.

umdivx

how fast is your processor? how much ram?

htpc_user

[quote=Aaron Ledger]

Have you tried the Silverlight 5 RC? That is the only fix I have found to make Netflix somewhat tolerable on the PC.

[/quote]

Here’s the deal with that.  I installed Silverlight 5 RC about a month ago and it did not solve the problem.  Also something else that I noticed that I found strange…before installing 5 I had looked at cpu useage during Netflix playback and it was around 13%.  When I installed 5 and checked cpu useage it was around 50%.  Also after the install of 5, the movie that I tested with didn’t even look like it was in HD any more (G.I. Joe).  I ended up having do a system restore because of another problem I was having, and I just decided to wait on Silverlight 5 to see if it matures any and I am forced to update it.

Josh, my cpu is an E6600, and I have 2gb RAM.

Aaron Ledger

The Silverlight 5 RC doesn’t work with all GPUs yet. If you tried with your new one, then apparently it is not working with it. You can try reverting to Silverlight 3 instead of 4.

Your CPU should be fine. That should only be an issue with underpowered systems like an Atom.

I am extremely sensitive to judder and unfortunately, Netflix on the PC can often be a bad experience if the right combination of SW/HW is not in place. On my Sandy Bridge systems using Intel HD Graphics, Silverlight 5 does bring the PC mostly to parity with Netflix through my Samsung display while Silverlight 4 is a juddery mess.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.