Need help – new build constantly reboots every 2 seconds.

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Need help – new build constantly reboots every 2 seconds.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

As a result of upgrading my htpc I had a Intel e2200 cpu and Sapphire HD2600xt gpu left over, so used following parts below to build a box for my son, more gaming – WoW – than htpc use, but thought the folks here could help me.

The box booted fine from day one, ran daily for hours on end since early May. Then the morning of June 10th I booted it up so my WHS box could back it up, which it did successfully.

I came back an hour or so later to shut it down, and found it in a loop where it would boot for aprox. 2 seconds, ( count out “one 1000, two 1000…..”), then power off. Same 2 seconds pass powered down, then it would power up, and begin the cycle again. Non-stop loop.

Thinking the last things added usually hose a build, the night before my son added Skype, and MS pushed out some updates. On the 8th I used the tools that came with the mobo to overclock to 3.0gHz, (2.97 to be exact).

But here’s where it get weird. I pulled the box out from under his desk, put it on my workbench, booted, it cycled up/down once, then booted normally. It continued to respond to normal start/stop commands from power button and Windows Start button a half dozen times. So I put it back in normal place, it worked yesterday fine, so I didn’t undo anything.

And today it’s stuck in the 2 second power up/down cycle.

I pulled it out, on my bench again, AND THE MUTHA F____R WORKS FINE. HELP!!!!!!!

When its on the bench, the side panel is off the box, no ethernet cable attached, and I’m using an old PS2 mouse and kybd, otherwise everything else is the same.

Here’s the parts list, the PSU is a no-name unit that came with the case, and its NOT Enermax;

Vista Home Premium 32bit
    Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 120mm Case Fan x 2
    Zerotherm BTF90 cpu cooler
    CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-8500C5D
    ENERMAX PANDORA 185 ECA3070BS Black/ Silver SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 400W Power Supply – http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811124118
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
    LOGITECH USB headphone/microphone set

Gene

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.