Need help/advice maximizing GigE network throughput.

Home Forums Home Theater Construction Help Need help/advice maximizing GigE network throughput.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

I have a WHS server in separate room from HTPC, Cat 6 cable from HTPC to Netgear GS608 v2 unmanaged  8 port switch, about 20′ run, then 9′ Cat5e cable to WHS box.

HTPC has Intel mobo which supports GigE, WHS has Asus mobo which also supports.

So I’m ripping dvds in HTPC with dvdshrink direct to a dvd folder on the WHS, seems awful slow compared to when I ripped to an E: drive on the HTPC itself. Now I realize the new process will have to be a ‘little’ slower, but still………..

I open task manager, open the networking tab, and while ripping note the percentage of GigE usage is ranging from .5% up to sporadic 10% usage, with large chunks of time spent between .6% and .7%. Again, I know 100% usage is not likely, but geez, 00.6%???

So, any tips for boosting the throughput of my rips? The switch is capable of supporting Jumbo Frames, but being unmanaged, I have no way to check if its enabled, and the Netgear site is useless.

Any thoughts?

Gene

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.