Moving which service do I go with?

Home Forums General Home Theater Discussion Moving which service do I go with?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

I’m going to be moving out of comcast land(philadelphia) at the end of the month and moving into a house up in eastern long island on the north shore. Its a rental and the landlord told us that we have the option of choosing Cable (cablevision), FiOs, or satellite. I’m too far east to easily pick up NYC OTA, but I should be able to pick up at least some OTA from Connecticut if I try.

Here’s that I’ve got currently:

SageTV driving the ship
    HD-PCR connected to comcast box
    HD-homerun (QAM, but could have also been OTA before the switchover)
    pvr-150 (analog cable)
    Fusion 5 lite (OTA)

If I stick with cable, I guess I’ll be able to tune analog cable with my pvr-150 for a while anyway. I don’t want to plan on relying on OTA initially as I’m sure it will require an upgraded antenna(which I may not be allowed to install on the roof or attic). I’m assuming that my hdhomerun will tune QAM via cable or fios, right?

I’m just not sure if there is an obvious choice here. I just read cgsheen’s posting on getting his custom DCT system working and that sounds awesome! I’m a loyal Sage user, but something like this could be enough to convince me to consider the switch with Media Center. Does that tuner only work with cable, or can it also work with FiOs?

I could also pick up a second HD-PVR and have a second hd-box to handle the tuning. I’m not sure how I feel about relying on the HD-PVR for heavy duty important recordings. Mine locks up every so often and sometimes Sage won’t tune via the irblaster without a reboot. If its my best option, then it might be worth it.

Of course, I’ll also need internet and probably also a landline. Although I hate comcast for their monopoly on the philly market, the service I’ve gotten has been consistent and good enough. I’ve often desired to get FiOs for the faster upstream bandwidth, but my HTPC may be driving the ship on this decision.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.