Migration Strategy for Clean Installs

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Migration Strategy for Clean Installs

• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by swoon.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

After installing a new SSD on one of my systems, I was curious to understand what others perform when migrating a system to a new OS drive. Personally, I go a fairly painful route of clean-installing Windows 7 (especially for SSD). I then manually copy over the stuff I want from my old drive. Using the Windows Easy Transfer, while easy, seems to want to grab a bunch of unnecessary stuff so I don’t bother with it. I also look at the process as a way to weed out a bunch of junk that’s collected. Programs I no longer need will just not get installed.

But I’m interested in what you do, if it is different.

Mike Garcen

i’m identical to you on those steps. I’ve never even thought to use Easy Transfer Wizard.

Only point i’ll make now, is i’ll use TeraCopy to do my copying and pasting 🙂

oliverredfox

I do clean installs and reinstall the programs from the ground up.  I find it’s a good time to speed things up, get rid of any older driver’s that might have still been clinging in the system, and reduce used space.  Over the years, I’ve developed the habbit of keeping only the OS(and some programs) on C:.  I keep a few programs installed to D:(Steam being on D helps since it doesn’t install any odd files and can be copied to a new system without needing a reinstall).  Anything data files are on other partitions/drives.  I never let the system save any data files to my C:.  This lets me backup my Firefox bookmarks and do a fresh install of the OS without any risk of data loss.

I blame Windows 98/ME for this.  Used to have to reinstall every couple months to keep the system running fast so I developed this routine to minimize the pain of it.  I have a folder with commonly used installs dating back a decade.  It’s full of current (sometimes older versions that I liked better) of programs I regularly use so I can reinstall fast without scouring the internet for all of them.

Tikker

I keep all the media in 1 central spot, so each machine is basically just OS and software

I just install the OS, and then point Media Center at the file server

jennyfur

I do in a clean install and use Win7’s backup and restore to put my old files on my new drive. 

jennyfur

[quote=oliverredfox]

This lets me backup my Firefox bookmarks

[/quote]

I’m addicted to xmarks (formerly foxmarks). And now that it’s not just for firefox anymore, I never have to worry about bookmarks again. 

Mike Garcen

[quote=jennyfur]

[quote=oliverredfox]

This lets me backup my Firefox bookmarks

[/quote]

I’m addicted to xmarks (formerly foxmarks). And now that it’s not just for firefox anymore, I never have to worry about bookmarks again. 

[/quote]

+1

swoon

The Chrome browser sync is great for this also, along with syncing everything else about the Chrome experience (extensions, saved passwords, etc.)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.