Media Center`s Identity Crisis: Vista Undermines the Entertainment Platform

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Media Center`s Identity Crisis: Vista Undermines the Entertainment Platform

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    jennyfur
    Participant

Original Article Link

I completely agree with you. I’m in disagreement with almost all of the article. Extenders should be the logical evolution of the media center platform. Trying to talk people into having a full blown PC in the living room just didn’t work, and isn’t as cost effective.

I actually am quite happy that Vista includes MCE because it means that it has a much broader install base. Even if all those users are not using the media center features right now, they have the [i]opportunity[/i] to do so if they wish. MS just needs to market the fact that the possibility is there so that people know about it. It’s easy to add a tuner card. If OEMs would get their acts together and release digital cable ready PCs, then it could be easy to add cablecard devices as well.

I personally want my machine to do double duty as a regular computer just so that I have less machines to deal with overall (and less cost associated with energy usage and upgrading components and software). It can look like any other desktop because it’s not sitting next to the TV… it’s sitting in my office where it belongs. The smaller, quieter, prettier extender should sit next to the TV.

[quote]A real Media Center PC is one that is stripped of junkware[/quote]

Sorry guys, but this should be the case for [b]ALL[/b] PCs!  >:(

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.