Media Center Movie Managers

Home Forums Beginner General Questions Media Center Movie Managers

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Zak

Media Center Movie Managers

11-27-11

Help Please!

I am just beginning to collect movies. I have 3 Blue-ray and 2 DVD movies, see what I mean by “just beginning”? I have a PC with plenty of performance capability and am using DVDFab to copy them to my hard drive, DVDFab seems to work well.

At this point I am not interested in recording TV programs, just copying from DVD or Blue-ray disk to hard drive.

I like the look and feel of Windows Media Center and want to use that for managing and playing my movies. (Unless recommended otherwise)

I read the review of:

•MyMovies
      •Media Browser
      •Collectorz.com Movie Collector
      •Salami Movie Organizer
      •YAMMM
      •MetaBrowser

http://www.missingremote.com/review/battle-media-center-movie-managers

That review was in 2009, 2 years ago. Has anything changed worth mentioning?

Do any of these programs allow for setting a movie to repeat over and over until I click a stop button, or allow for setting a few movies to play in a row one after another without any operator interaction?

My Movies seems like a good choice, I do like the look, layout and simplicity although I don’t understand the points system. What is it used for? Do I need it for My Movies to work properly? Do I have to contribute something in order to accumulate points? What do I have to contribute? I would rather pay a dollar amount than have the hassle of a points system.

I’m new to this and looking for some help.

Thanks,
      Zak

Mike Garcen

there’s no app i know of that will just play a movie over and over again, your best bet here is just to use window media player and create a playlist with the same movie several times.

i haven’t changed from my  review, even two years later, although most of those apps have had some nice improvements, My Movies is still my cup of tea. THe points works to allow some of the special features, such as backdrop images and dvd ripping, and some others.

skirge01

[quote=Mike Garcen]

there’s no app i know of that will just play a movie over and over again

[/quote]

Actually, most standalone players do this… including Windows Media Player (at least v12 does).

Mike Garcen

[quote=skirge01]

[quote=Mike Garcen]

there’s no app i know of that will just play a movie over and over again

[/quote]

Actually, most standalone players do this… including Windows Media Player (at least v12 does).

[/quote]

Yeah, when you’re playing the video, just right click and select “Repeat”

Sorry, i mixed up my memory of the more common request to have a SERIES of Videos play over and over again. My apologies, thanks George.

Ganjagadget

I use mediabrowser for my collection management. You should also look at the AutoRip n’ Compress MCE plugin. name kinda says it all.

http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/25/t/81697.aspx

jennyfur

You may want to read the most recent review of My Movies, which is only a few months old. Anything worth mentioning that has changed will be there. But I don’t think much really significant has.

http://www.missingremote.com/review/mymovies-4

I’m also going to second the suggestion of Auto Rip N Compress, I use it to rip my DVDs to wtv and then use media center to access them. I’m partial to Media Center Master for my meta data needs.

skar

One of the big changes since 2009 has been the addition of TV Series support.

captain_video

[quote=Mike Garcen]

there’s no app i know of that will just play a movie over and over again, your best bet here is just to use window media player and create a playlist with the same movie several times.[/quote]

I’ve got all of my Blu-Ray movies ripped to iso’s and stored on an unRAID server.  When I play the movie in TMT5, it will loop back to the beginning and start again unless I stop it at the end of the movie. I use Media Browser as my catalog app.

phoneguyinpgh

I second Media Center Master for Meta data.  I have been using Media browser for browsing my media.  Good graphics, some free addons and hasn’t given my any issues.

SikSlayer

[quote=phoneguyinpgh]

I second Media Center Master for Meta data.  I have been using Media browser for browsing my media.  Good graphics, some free addons and hasn’t given my any issues.

[/quote]

This is my duo of choice.

millpub

It’s hard to go wrong with either Media Browser or My Movies, though I tend to be partial to Media Browser. The folder based organization structure just works better across different devices for me and I like to be able create custom collections and I find it easier to group the movies together with Media Browser. The podcast support is a nice bonus. As for metadata, I like Meta Browser. It’s not free anymore, but I’ve generally found it to be more stable than Media Center Master when working with network shares and I like the clean interface.

millpub

I almost forgot. Consider checking out XBMC for your movie player. There are a couple of different launchers out there for integrating XBMC into the WMC shell and XBMC will take care of a lot of the codec issues that WMC stumbles with.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.