Low Power / Network Storage / Music Server / Record HDTV(air) / Internet Streaming

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Low Power / Network Storage / Music Server / Record HDTV(air) / Internet Streaming

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Well my subject kind of describes what I am trying to do. I already have a Roku box that can be used to deliver streaming to the TV. I am OS neutral, but am fascinated by the Plug Computers. I am hoping to simplify the HTPC by utilizing the Roku box we have.

In order of importance: Low Power / Low cost

1) Network Storage – We need storage for family pictures and videos and want it set up as a network drive – mostly archive ability and ocassional backup of important data – nothing automated.

2) Music Server – We would like to access our music library via the server and play it on our TV and/or future sound system/wireless speakers. I think I am ok with just local access, but wouldn’t mind an upgrade path to accessing it anywhere via the internet. (or do it now if it doesn’t require a lot more investment.)

3) Record TV – We will have an HDTV antenna and want to record tv shows. I would also like to be able to record any internet streaming video with a service such as PlayOn or equivalent solution. No cable tv recording needed.

4) Internet Streaming – Netflix / Hulu

Environment:

We are a split Android / Apple family when it comes to mobile devices.
        We are a Windows family for PC’s.
        Our internet access is cable to a wireless router that is in separate part of home as the TV
        10/100 Ethernet

I could run hard wire and/or upgrade to GbE if it is essential. Thanks!

Craig

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.