Losing audio on ATI Radeon HD5670

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Losing audio on ATI Radeon HD5670

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I am periodically losing audio since (I think) the latest driver update.  The HTPC is connected via HDMI.  I can easily get it going again by closing media center and opening the sound icon in the systray.  All I do is go to system sounds and test some of them.  The first one or two I will hear nothing, then I will hear a tiny pop and the next ones I test the audio will come through. 

Doing that is not too big  deal for me, but when I am traveling it is not something my wife is real happy with.  I plan on rolling back the driver when I get home this weekend.

Has anyone else seen this?  Any solutions?

Aaron Ledger

[quote=SJMaye]

Any solutions?

[/quote]

Roll back if it was working before. Bad AMD drivers are certainly not unheard of :D.

SJMaye

I am so new to ATI video cards I did not know that.  Sure is strange though.

SWKerr

I use SageTV and have had a problem for awhile where I don’t have sound after coming out of standby.  probably a patience thing because usually starting playback again will fix it but I did actually have to reboot yesterday.  The HDMI audio driver was not even in control panel before the reboot.  I did a driver update within the last week so it may be  driver issue. 

Aaron Ledger

If you haven’t tried yet, you should check out the Realtek HDMI audio driver. It is my understanding that it works better for 5000-series cards and is not afflicted with the silent stream bug.

SJMaye

I have not gotten a chance to try the driver you have referenced.  I am embarassed to say I had thought I could only get the HDMI audio driver with the Radeon video card driver.  Never thought it could be installed separately.

I lost audio again yesterday.  I think I saw something for a split second that is a clue to the issue.  When I looked at the playback devices radeon HDMI audio was grayed out and on board digital audio was selected.  Then in an instant HDMI audio kicked back in without me doing anything.  HDMI audio is the default audio source.  It appears HDMI audio was momentarily disabled.  Then when I simply opened to look at the playback devices it enabled itself again.

Sort of strange.  Maybe the separate audio driver is the cure.

Aaron Ledger

Don’t be embarrassed. It is perfectly logical to think that the HDMI audio driver that should be used should be provided by the GPU vendor.

SJMaye

In case this might help someone else.  One thing I read somewhere was to disable and re-enable the ATI HDMI audio.  I did this and had no loss in audio for a few days. 

Due to other issues I took the whole system down for reformat and reinstall of Windows so I guess we will never know for sure.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.